Got a speeding ticket on my way home from orientaiton

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by opossumplane, Feb 16, 2023.

1. opossumplane

opossumplane Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2023
    I attended a mega CDL training and orientation in another state and received my CDL. The day after I pass my test, I make the 12 hour drive home in my personal vehicle. Right after I cross the NV state line into CA(mono county specifically) where the speed limit dropped by 10mph I'm immediately pulled over by CHP. He claimed he got me on radar going 85 in the 65. This was literally less than a 1/4 mile from the state line. I hadn't even made it to the agricultural checkpoint yet.

On my ticket I'm not listed as a commercial driver because I haven't even switched over the paperwork at the CA DMV. I signed up with TVC pro driver, submitted my ticket and am just waiting to hear back from the legal team hopefully by tomorrow at the latest. I'm not going to the DMV yet to switch anything over until I can speak to a legal representative to walk me through the next steps.

As far as I know, my company doesn't have a policy for reporting violation dates only convictions. So because I haven't been convicted, and my court date is not even until May, I'm not going to say anything until then. I'm supposed to leave with a trainer next week but I'm just feeling super stressed and disappointment in myself that not even one day after I pass my test I get a ticket.

I'm hoping I'll be able to fight it. I'm willing to pay whatever it takes if it means it won't be on my record. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other advice? I'm also curious, if I do get convicted and notify my company, I believe they would terminate me because they are all about safety and having a clean record. Would I still be on the hook for paying back the training $ ??

Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you drivers!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Do what you can to fight it, 20 over your all done.

Hell of a way to start out your new career..best of luck

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    You do know that you must be doing the SPEED LIMIT at or before you reach the sign right... not 100ft, 500ft, 1,000ft PAST the sign..

The fact they got you going 20mph over (probably not the 1st time you've done that) showes your not a good candidate for a cdl

Best of luck

5. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    How long to do have before you need to convert your CDL?
    I would make beating this ticket your number one priority even over staying with the company

rabbiporkchop, Siinman, jsnell and 2 others Thank this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Hire a lawyer. Good Luck.

rabbiporkchop, Siinman, jsnell and 4 others Thank this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    If you’re planning to be successful as a professional driver, your mentality must change, in regards to everything in your life. Being a truck driver is a lifestyle and not just a cliche.

Good luck!

8. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Agreed , once you have your CDL you cannot get speeding tickets anymore, and lets not forget , legally too drunk to drive is now.04 for anyone with a CDL even if you are in your personal car

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You have to get that ticket reduced to ANYTHING less than 15 over the limit. If your lawyer can get the charge changed to murdering puppies on a school yard, take that deal. I don't know the difference between one ticket service and any other ticket service, or if ticket services are more or less effective than an attorney in the town/county where it was issued. Fighting tickets is only one way to protect your license. Moving the freight is just a part-time job compared to protecting your CDL. You need to anticipate speed-limit changes and act accordingly because you are a big target for revenue. Fairness is not the issue and it's an unreasonable expectation in life.

Drive slower than everybody else if that is what it takes to not get ANY tickets and never, ever, no matter what, hit ANYTHING with your truck or trailer, no matter how small or where you are, or the time of day. IMO, new drivers seem to just accept they will be getting tickets and hitting things. Imagine a chef just accepting he is going to occasionally poison customers. You have to act and work to NEVER have these events happen to you, not just have a good story about each one. Good luck.

10. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015

Talk to a traffic ticket lawyer from the jurisdiction where you were issued the ticket.

Mono County Traffic Tickets Lawyers | Compare Top Rated California Attorneys | Justia

austinmike, opossumplane and tscottme Thank this.
  11. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you can show that you weren't speeding, then fight it. Otherwise, own it.

opossumplane and bryan21384 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.