Got accepted, might drink the kool aid. Trainers in Berks county pa?

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Carlnix30, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I can't seem to figure out what makes TMC different.. But it seems for every complaint, there is a huge adamate rebuttal! So ths company seems like a great place to do business. I have older teens and an awesome wife they say the same thing.. "Go with TMC" so I filled out the application, spoke with Gus Erwin (seems like an upfront guy) sent in countless sheets of information and finally heard back. "Looks good! When do you graduate smith and Solomon?" I am kind of excited and a little overwhelmed! Soon much information, soo many, this place sucks, that place is great! I am switching from being a superintendent of a high rise to being a trucker. (Hopefully if I can make it through the mill) I did stop at a truck stop with the wife, she started buying me stuf!! lol guess I'm ranting so let me get to the nitty gritty!

Is there trainers in Berks county area (reading/Allentown/Harrisburg) if you are a trainer i would love to speak to you! Hot shower and a meal included! I am the type of guy that likes to know what he's getting into. all aspects of it! If any trainer for TMC that is willing to talk or has advise let me know! Any advise to make my life easier would be appreciated!

What are the idiot mistakes I can avoid?
    what can I do to get the most out of my training?
    how to not piss off my trainer!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redbone311

Redbone311 Light Load Member

May 4, 2013
    CT
    Just sit down and look through a lot of different posts on here and you will find these answers. Good luck to you. We are all in the same boat.

4. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Don't know about trainers around here, but I'm guessing you live in my general area.( I live in Schuylkill County) I do see a lot of their trucks here on the weekends on home time parked around the St. Clair area in the Wal Mart lot. Perhaps one of those guys trains? Also, I guy I went to school with at LCTI in Schnecksville started with them. I lost touch over the years, but I know for the 1st year he was with them he didn't have any major complaints. Good luck and stay safe with whomever you end up driving with!:biggrin_25525:

Carlnix30 Thanks this.
  5. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    My god how much info can a man take in!! This place is so full of info it's hard to weed through the morons and the sincere! Who have you decided to drive for and why?

guitar,

thank you for the advise! Looks like you have made a living or at least your eating after 5 years! Stop and say hello if you see a black and chrome with my name on the side!
    I think I might live around you.. I am in the reading/allentown area.

6. FirNaTine

FirNaTine Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    South Jersey
    Although I'm a few years removed from working at TMC some things are still the same.

Treat the 2 week training at TMC as a 2 week long job interview. Be on your best behavior, stay off the grass is no joke, even at the hotel during your off time be good. Be respectful and learn as much as you can. Try to improve each day during training. I believe they sometimes try to push your buttons to see if you are easy to upset and to see how you handle stress.

When I was there some guys were acting like they were teenagers away from their parents for the first time, goofing off and not taking it seriously, all of them were gone in the first week. We started with 30+ and ended with like 14 guys making it. There was one guy who bought all the TMC stuff he could (shirts hats mugs etc) in the gift shop and ended up getting booted after the first week for being an ###.

Going out with a trainer for 5 weeks can be hard, hopefully you'll get someone you get along with well. My trainer was awesome but I had to travel far to get to him (150 miles). If you never done OTR it is quite an ajustment as its a not just a job change its a lifestyle change. TMC is pretty good at getting you home on the weekend but there will be times when you won't get home. Also the weekend off can be as short as coming home Saturday morning/afternoon and leaving out Sunday afternoon/night.

Overall I had a good experience at TMC training and working for the short time I did. I think they are an excellent company to start out with and maybe stay on with. When I quit though there was a lot of people quitting too at the same time (Indy lot was full), Every two weeks they graduate a class of 20-30 guys and I'd be curious how many quit each week too. OTR wasn't for me for personal reasons associated with being away from home for extended times. Plus I wasn't making much money and sitting a lot. Some make more than others it seems. Some rave about how great it is some how horrible it is, I think its somewhere in the middle, but those who have had it bad I believe they have legitimate arguments.

I drive local flats now and routinely see TMC trucks and admire them some as I blow past them doing 70 mph :biggrin_2559:

Good luck to you and post here often of your experience there as it helps others.

7. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    thank you for the good wishes. It seems that there is a large turnover with every company. I know that the OTR life can be a lonely one! But I think I will be a good fit. I am an ex submariner so I am used to being away from my family with literally no contact. I truly do not like people in general. I don't socialize! my life consist of working and coming home watching tv then repeat. My goal is to run, sleep and eat in the truck, shower when I can't stand myself then repeat. I am hoping that I find a nice quiet spot when I have to stop. I went to a truck stop yesterday with the wife.. I felt crowded and a little overwhelmed. So I am planning to hit those when I need to feed the truck, scale if needed, fax my paperwork and get the hell out.

One thing I can say so far those in general that have left, enjoyed the time they were with TMC and that makes me feel good about my decision!

What do you think? Is that a good mindset? Or am I just dreaming!?

8. machineman4223

machineman4223 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Nashville TN
    Most guys that quit TMC don't play the game. What I mean is you got to sacrifice to excel here. Get to your Monday delivery on Sunday night with a ten hour break by Monday at 7am. The rest of the week will fall into place from there. The training is kinda of a toss up. We have good and bad trainers. To me an average week on line haul is 1000 gross or more. Bring home to the dinner table at least 850 plus. To me if your not grossing a1000 plus being gone all week is it really worth it. If you have good work ethic and self discipline you will excel with us. But back to sacrifice. That's the biggest thing people don't want to do. If your willing to sacrifice your personal time for your truck you will excel. Anything else let me know

Carlnix30 Thanks this.
  9. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I just got off the phone with Adam TMC local recruiter. It's funny he said the same thing! Get home on Saturday morning if lucky Friday night.. Kiss the kids goodnight on Sunday night and be there to drop Sunday night. Get unloaded after 34 hour reset.. And run.. Percentage is the way to go..? That's what I keep hearing. They base your performance on cleanliness, getting your load on time, idle time, fuel efficiency and runs.. Am I missing anything? Do you run with a GPS? Do they allow navigation with Qualcomm? If you do run with GPS how accurate are the arrival times? Did you buy into the rand McNally GPS?
    I know I am putting cart before the horse but if I know some things I have more time to learn others things.

10. Fester69

Fester69 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Im not with tmc but Im interested in how it works out for you. Been thinking about switching from boxes to flatbeds.
    I can help with a few of your questions though.
    New guys make mistakes, just try not to make the same ones often.
    Ask questions. Even stupid ones.
    Lastly, it seemed like what aggrevated trainers the most, was know-it-all trainees. Remember you are the new guy and they are trying to help you with their experience. Phrases like "I learned in truckin school not to do it your way," will get you on their bad side quick.

Almost forgot the most important thing, HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE! Things wont always go well. Things will go worse if you're a big ol grouchy pants! Let the small things roll off. If you listen to the cb sometimes you hear drivers just gripe about every little stupid thing. I couldnt live like that myself.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how things work out!

Carlnix30 Thanks this.
  11. Carlnix30

Carlnix30 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Fester,

that sounds like solid advise! I didn't plan on keeping this going! But I plan now to continue this through, all my preparation and hopefully through orientation and trainer experience. Maybe with you guys answering my questions and the advise you guys give will alleviate someone else's anxiety.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.