Got My First Driver Job!

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by bcfast, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcfast

bcfast Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Central Florida
    Howdy everybody!! Been lurking here for about 2 months, have made a few posts (largely in the political arena) and have learned a great deal from everyones' posts, so I thank you tremendously!!
    I am in a vocational school (10 week course) andfollowed my instructor's advice to check out a local carrier. Because I scored the best in class at all of the skills tests and got a verbal blessing from my instructor, I have been hired by this small, family owned carrier!! Surratt Trucking in Dade City, FL carries FJOC to CA and produce back to FL working as teams. They pay on percent rather than mileage, and as yet I'm not sure if that's and advantage or disadvantage. Everyone I've met at the company is polite and pleasent so far! I am happy that I'll have a lead driver with me all the time, so that I can ask questions and gain experience quickly. Anyway, I'm totally jazzed to get started and had to share my excitement with all ya'll! I will finish my orientation on Monday and will head out to CA later in the week! Wish me luck!!:biggrin_25525:
    BC

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA

you've "been lurking here"..........??

isn't that something like "stalking"..........j/k

congrats on the new job, keep us up to date.

4. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    Good luck and please keep us up to date on how things are going for ya!

5. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA

Good luck!!!!!

6. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Good luck!! be safe out there.. Taker slow and easy at first..

7. bcfast

bcfast Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Central Florida
    "Caucious" is my middle name!! Let me now make this oath:

I do hereby solomnly swear, to do my absolute best in representing professional truck drivers as safe, courteous, polite to all, upstanding and contributing members of the AMERICAN society. That I shall project the profession of truck driving as an honorable one, and worthy of the general publics' praise.

BC

8. OceansideHog

OceansideHog Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2007
    SoCal
    Best of luck to you bcfast!

9. bcfast

bcfast Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Central Florida
    Took my company driving test this morning. Was over 1 hour!! of driving...and the safety director was blown away...he commented that it was 'an excellent drive', so I feel great about the whole thing, so far!!
    I will be shoving off for CA on Thurs. or Friday of this week. Looking forward to bringing home some bacon!! Thanks again to all of you here that have helped educate me on what to ask, what to look for and look out for, and how to choose a company. I feel as though you have helped me make a great choice!
    BC

10. dalejr8fan

dalejr8fan Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2007
    zephyrhills fl
    hey bcfast i livein zephyrhills florida.not sure if you are familiar with zephyrhills florida. it is about 13 miles south of dade city. where is your company loctaed and do they hire student drivers?

11. bcfast

bcfast Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thought I'd check back in with the board here...I've been round-trip FL-CA twice now with my trainer. Driven in all sorts of traffic, weather, mountains, TIGHT loading docks, etc...even got to drive thru a blowing snow storm the other day!! It's going well, so far. One thing for the other first-timers that I can 'warn' you of: sleep management! Don't ride shotgun for very long and shoot the breeze with your trainer/co-driver. I guess I kinda feel guilty or something...about leaving him up there alone. But while I'm driving, he's sleeping. So when he's driving, I should be sleeping in order to pull the night shift or day shift...whatever the arrangement is.
    Also, newbies...watch out for all the idiots out there!! In 2 days going out west, I saw 3 cars upside-down in accidents. The driving masses aren't very educated behind the wheel, so please treat them as such.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.