Gotta love DOT, set up at rest area in the middle of the night.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by roadtech, Jan 17, 2019.

1. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    There's got to be some type of regulations put on DOT. I stopped for the night in the East Branch rest area
    On 17 West in NY about 8pm last night . It was pretty full but I found a spot towards the end of the rest area
    Near the exit . About Midnite DOT rolls in and sets up and starts inspecting trucks in the middle of the night.
    Now this isn't a scale house ,it's a rest area with bathrooms . They do this pretty regularly and it's one of the reasons I don't like to stop there for the night. They must of woke up some trucks and told them to leave,because it was full and no place for them to set up when I went to sleep.I woke up around 5am to use the restroom and I started walking to the bathroom ,seen them a few trucks away inspecting them and just walked back to my truck and left. I keep my truck and paperwork up to par,I just don't like being F#%+%#
    With,who does. I spoke to a friend of mine who got pulled in and he said they were in there at Midnite,and they are going to start heavily enforcing the ELD requirements again and that's why they were in there.They kind of backed off for awhile after heavily enforcing it when it was implemented. With overnite parking being tougher to find because of the ELD's ,and driver fatigue being a big safety concern ,do we really need
    These clowns storming in in the middle of the nite like some swat team and harassing drivers trying to get some sleep,or taking up spots in the middle of the nite that could be used by an exhausted driver. There really should be some type of regulations on these clowns. They claim safety ,we know it's all about revenue and justifying there existence . I was coming down route 81 at 10:30 pm at nite last week and it was snowing and about 10 degrees out. They had the lights on at the Whitney point rest area and they're were about 6 DOT vehicles in there inspecting trucks and 2 chase cars at the entrance . Absolute over the top nonsense and a definite safety hazard. I know NY hired an additional 160 new DOT cops with the money the federal government gave them to implement the ELD mandate on top of the 600 they already have ,but this gung-ho in the middle of the night ######## in rest areas is ridiculous.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I read somewhere lately, I think in Overdrive magazine, that FMCSA has updated guidlines for DOT law enforcement not to perform random inspections on trucks parked legally at rest places and when drivers are taking their breaks. I think that a rest area in the middle of a night is such a place.

KB3MMX, Vampire, kimbosa and 10 others Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    What are those rest interrupted drivers gonna do after being inspected...reset their sleeper time for another 8 hours?

KB3MMX, Vampire, rank and 2 others Thank this.
  5. roadtech

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I'll have to check into that. I usually get home most nights
    But was in the shop yesterday and was just tired,and close on hours so I pulled in there. They shouldn't be allowed in there at all after a certain time. Fixed scale houses I can see,but rest area's especially in the middle of the night should be off limits .

KB3MMX, kimbosa, Lite bug and 4 others Thank this.
  6. roadtech

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I don't know . I wondered what would happen if you just stayed in your sleeper and just ignored them. I know they would mess with you big time once you decided to come out or leave the rest area.I had friend who did that years ago. He was way overweight and DOT tried waking him up and weighing him in the middle of the night. He just kept quiet and stayed in the sleeper . It was in the spring and the truck wasn't running. He stayed in the sleeper all night and into the next day and they ended up leaving,not sure if there was anyone in the truck.lol!

KB3MMX, Lite bug, NightWind and 7 others Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Must make them DOT officers feel real high and mighty to wake a trucker up during the middle of the night to demand an inspection. Sorry SOBs.

KB3MMX, Vampire, TheLoadOut and 10 others Thank this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I peek out the curtain, and If its a LEO I simply go back to bed. No law saying that I need to interrupt my 10 hour DOT required break (by definition released from all responsibilities to be off duty) to entertain the clowns.

KB3MMX, Vampire, Lite bug and 11 others Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yeah, these things should not be happening at all but even if they do, they should not be without a clear provision that random inspections, while drivers log off duty or in sleeper time, will not reset the break time.

KB3MMX, TheLoadOut and roadtech Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Should be pretty well common sense not to go waking up drivers in the middle of the night for inspections, that takes a special stupid.

KB3MMX, alds, okiedokie and 5 others Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pretty much, and get the DOT man's badge number into the violations remarks list on paper. Document everything.

Your company can take it up with DOT in that state. (And get a new appt time for changing a busted original delivery for issues beyond your control.) When dot man stands on your fuel tank and orders you to get out of bed for inspection, you tell him #########. And things will go from there, including a inspection.

KB3MMX and roadtech Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.