Gotta start somewhere...~3 weeks to orientation

Discussion in 'Werner' started by 94nole, Oct 2, 2009.

1. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    Well, reality is now sinking in.

It seems that I will be headed to Hot-Lanta for Werner orientation in about 3 weeks. I say "seems" because I will not believe anything a recruiter tells me until it happens.

After all the negativity here and on other threads, with regard to Werner, I am a greenie and I have to start somewhere. I plan to drive team as that appears to be the trend and the top priority of load allocation amongst the dispatchers. Better loads = more miles = more money. I just hope the other guy showers at least every other day....:biggrin_25524:

Honestly, I am going to go into this with the full intention of being the exception...I plan to do everything I can to stay with Werner if that is the best for me and my family. I have the benefit of a great wife who works and provides benefits for our family. Luckily, the burden is not so great on me as it is with so many other folks who enter this business.

I am also honest, almost to a detriment. I don't expect to be an entry level employee-driver and to be treated like royalty. I don't expect the highest pay per mile. I plan to make an honest assessment of this (not to say that others haven't been honest), it's just that I will now see it for myself, rather than rely on some disgruntled driver's experience who had someone look at him funny or who had to sit for a couple hours longer than he wanted and he got offended and pi$$ed off.

I may arrive at the same conclusion as the others but that will only come after a full and complete evaluation.

I truly appreciate all those who come here and post their thoughts and experiences. I have learned tons....one couldn't pay for this information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shriner75

shriner75 Heavy Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Minnesota, dontcha know...
    94 if you are thinling of going teams and dont have anybody in mind for a drive partner you could ask the office. From what I last remember you can go on their same computers that they use CBT's for and can do a search for a driving partner. Of course that was alomst a year ago. I no longer drive for them so hence why I mentioned the last time I remember. Good luck!

4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    You learn quickly, Grasshopper.

If you wind up with a partner who conducts himself like a civilized human being, you'll do OK. If you get a guy you really 'click' with, it'll be both profitable and fun. But if you wind up with one of those nasty folks who are only kept from being homeless by the virtue of a CDL and a desperate industry...welcome to Hell. :biggrin_25521:

You have much more going for you than a lot of greenhorns, which is good. When (if) you get your first big check, you'd better buy that woman a nice dinner.

I hope you stay honest. I've never worked for Wiener, but having been in the industry for a while, I have no problem believing a good percentage of the "I got screwed" stories. Seriously, if all truck drivers were that easily disgruntled, there'd be a rash of trucking company workplace violence that would claim more lives than the last three wars combined.

And just because you're honest, DO NOT assume that anyone else in the industry is. The only field that comes close to trucking in lies, ripoffs and BS is politics. It can be successfully negotiated, but you gotta watch your back.

On the one hand, I don't have to pick up a rattler to know it's a bad idea. On the other, I do admire a guy with an open mind. Keep us posted about your experiences.

That's why we're here. We help people understand us, give them the straight stuff, and let them decide if trucking really is for them. Good luck! :biggrin_25520:

shriner75 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.