Governed Truck Passing Etiquette

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Timecook, May 17, 2013.

1. freightrunner

freightrunner Heavy Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    I know drivers get frustrated with me and my overweight loads. Going up a hill with 49,000 lbs I'm going to drop back below 60 and therefore I am passable but going downhill I'm going back to resume probably 70-75.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    49000??? Thats not bad. And slowing on hills is par for the course. 60 side by side of flat prairie for mile after mile is ignorance.

rodeo trucker Thanks this.
  4. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    This, pretty much. I've gotten to the point where I run a couple under the governor now, not worth the skyrocketing blood pressure for the few extra mph.

5. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Sure, I'm 38 minutes late. I could have hammered on it. I figured you might want your freight here safe. Complain to the billion cars that slowed me down. :biggrin_255: The rain & fog I drove thru, It's easy to make promises over a phone, It's a different thing to keep them.

6. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I will just throw this out there as something to keep in mind, just because YOU think the guy has sped up as you pull beside isn't ALWAYS the case.

As you pull up beside that truck YOU are running is his wake, HE is breaking the wind FOR YOU, which allows you to run faster.

As you get aside of him you are both, to a degree running in a draft, as YOU try and get around him, YOU are now breaking his air and HE is running in YOUR wake, which allows him to run faster.

In MANY cases that driver has never touched his cruise, or his foot feed, it is simple aerodynamics.

I am amazed at the amount of drivers out here that have yet to figure that out, unless they are watching to much NASCAR and are hoping to "slingshot" past the guy, I have news for you, it doesn't work with a vehicle that is 75' long!

Timecook Thanks this.
  7. StayBusyTrucker

StayBusyTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    No I agree with the other guy there is no "deal with it" if your halfway there the right lane should yield and if he doesn't then I suppose it's gonna take me a little longer to pass.

8. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    is that the same as taxing the rich more to help the "less fortunate"?

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Yeah, I just love the guys that try to pass and then cannot. So, I slow down to let them in, then I have to pass them because they were not really running as fast.

Like I said, be professional and deal with it. Not a whiner.

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Take political comments to the proper forum and keep these from getting locked.

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I buy it to a point.

I come up on someone and I back off a bit and still catch them. No one around so I resume speed and start around. They match it. So, I go even faster. Before you know it, I am now running 10 mph faster and they are barely backing off.

Finally get in front of them and they back off.

Then I resume my speed and pull away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.