Government money

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by D.Tibbitt, Apr 7, 2020.

1. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    If you had a choice between 12 and 14, I'll bet you take the 14, though

Deere hunter and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    If that's the only choice I had, yes, of course.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Do you know how our government came up with $1200? They took the national minimum wage and multipled that by 40 (40 hours work week). Then they took that sum and multipled it by four (4 weeks of salary).

Someone only earning minimum wage will make $1200 a month before taxes and FICA.

Where I live in N. Texas that doesn't even pay for a 1 bedroom apartment for a month.

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You are 100% correct about people generally being irresponsible with their money. Everyone should be living below their means

I would LOVE to own a nice new pickup. A Ford F350, or Dodge Ram, or Chevy Silverado. But I cannot justify the expense. I do not drive very much and I wouldn't utilize the space the back nearly enough. But I still really like pickups, how they look, and their capabilities.

Financially it makes no sense for me to give up my Toyota Corolla that is paid off for another car note.

All through my 20s I have been financially irresponsible. But I have been blessed to have parents that kept pounding the idea into my head, and giving me examples of their own mistakes, and fortunately it finally sunk in when I hit 30 years old and now I am growing my net worth, and it feels great.

6. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    a vast majority of those $1200 checks are just going to go straight to the drug dealers that are swarming right now. Everybody at home, the only thing to do is bone and get high and get your blood pressure raised by watching Terror News Network

Dixiegypsy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    With your permission I am going to print this post and put it on my refrigerator. I'm not sure it shouldn't be sent to every newspaper editorial department in the country. Lol.

D.Tibbitt, TravR1 and tommymonza Thank this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You cannot survive and retire off minimum wage.

People get scammed into thinking you have to go to college to make anything of yourself, which is not true.

Government grants for college education originally start only as a way for us to compete with the Russians and keep up with them in science and math. It has since ballooned to study just about everything under the sun.

What gets overlooked is you do not have to do much to improve your position. You can go to a 3 week driving school and greatly improve your lot in life, as we demonstrate. Also my own experience, I worked as a relay operator helping deaf people make phone calls for 10.25 per hour. Crap pay. I saw the company was needing technical support representatives in that same company paying 18.00 an hour. Much better pay, obviously. All the requirements they had for the job, I didn't have most of them.

I went down to Barnes & Noble and bought a computer book for $60, about 1200 pages, and I read the book. Then I interviewed and got the job. The guy that hired me told me I was very under qualified, but he hired me anyway because he would see that I really wanted the job.

I did 10 years in tech after that. The point being it's not as hard as people think.

D.Tibbitt, Jenn72 and tommymonza Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    ROFL

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Oh this I know.....1200 almost doesn't pay rent anywhere it seems anymore. The powers that be I think are a little out of touch with the common man

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I wont dispute that it was an overreaction somewhat. By the same token, you gotta understand that this is real and foreign. People are going to react strangely to the unknown. This isn't just the flu. This is something nobody has seen before. To compare car crashes and the coronavirus, I don't there is a comparison.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.