Governor froze? Builds air past 125...

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Feb 15, 2019.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Drove in from mild 40 f weather of PA into freezing 12 f Iowa, turned my truck off for like an hour (a mistake, I know) - and now the air is building way past 125 psi, not "popping", just keeps going up. I'm guessing my governor froze?

Any advice on unfreezing it? I tried to drain the tanks, and put some air system antifreeze in the trailer lines, but no luck. Is there perhaps, like, a main air intake location on the air compressor where I can put in the liquid antifreeze? Or some other trick? Or do I need to set up a road call for a new governor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    You didn't say what kind of engine. Assuming the governor is mounted on the engine you could open the valve on your air tank to prevent over pressurizing the system, then just let the engine heat warm the governor. Close the valve every now and then to see if the governor is working correctly yet.

4. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    This is a DD15, the governor is mounted on the air dryer tank near the front right of the engine bay. A bit far to get a lot of direct heat, but might work. Maybe if I disconnect the red line from the trailer, push in trailer brake valve, and leave the truck runnning...

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    There’s an intake air line running from intake manifold. I’m not sure if pouring liquid into it will damage something or not. I’ve taken the main discharge line ( usually stainless steel) and poured it in there that way it runs through system, although I don’t think through governor. Maybe pour a little into intake if necessary, just hate to see you lock up compressor, Maybe governor is just bad anyway. I had that happen once in very cold temps. Had to change it

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    The truck stop has a boss shop thing, so I'm just giving them a hundred bucks to replace the governor. I've replaced governors myself before, it's a fun little job, but not in 10f weather

7. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Boss shop replaced the governor and now everything is fine. Thanks for all your advice.

RockinChair, Rideandrepair and Cat sdp Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    When I go from warm and wet to below zero I always take the main line off the compressor and throw a little air line antifreeze in there.... that lets it blow threw the air dryer and into the tanks..

It is hard on the air dryer cartridge tho...... but I change mine twice a year anyways.

Troy_ and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  9. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I've always done it that way as well, and have been told it's hard on the dessicant cartridge. my uncle always told me to add air line antifreeze into the discharge line of the air dryer, but my pa always said just to pour it into the braided line from the compressor. years ago we used to run alcohol injectors behind the air dryers, not sure why we went away from that.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Money well spent, good deal

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, all is not fine. You have moisture in the system, and that could happen again. When it gets warm again, drain the air tanks, see what you get. Air dryer sounds flakey, as well.

PermanentTourist and Troy_ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.