GPS app for you phone that is trucking friendly?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by !wind dancer, Jan 6, 2019.

1. !wind dancer

!wind dancer Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I know there are a lot of free GPS apps out there for truckers, however I am seeing most of these apps do charge a fee in some form or another. So I am looking for an app that is accurate, reliable, and dirt cheap haha, I know nothing is ever really free !!! My biggest fears are inaccurate bridge information, and flying by an open scale. Need some recommendations.
    Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Google maps
    Use front of atlas to see about most bridges, on the major road ways anyway. Use google again with satellite view for new places you go to. Street view if necessary.

Do you have a rand McNally atlas yet? It is a very good tool to carry.

Welcome to the forum.

4. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    MyOne20 was the best free GPS app that I found. Sadly it doesn't exist anymore.
    I actually paid $15 for a month on another app and thought MyOne20 was better.
    The only time it screwed up was it sent me towards a low bridge on 77 near Bridgeton NJ. Ft. DIX new jersey sucked too. But I heard even the $400 GPS at the truck stops have done the same.

5. !wind dancer

!wind dancer Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Yes, I've been running long haul, mainly Midwest, down to Florida, Texas, sometimes Carolinas. My on board nav center is sometimes a little scary. I'm also trying to avoid these unsafe skanky truck stops everyone keeps talking about, I don't need any of the headaches that they bring. Are there any free apps that season vets recommend.

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    wrong gen driver. you need to talk a min of 3 900" gps's plus 5 camera's mounted through out truck and a youtube channel blog. all on windshield plus all on bright

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Trucker path app is free and has a map of all truck stops, well most anyway.

I don't if there is an app that has all the holiday inns with easy truck parking.

8. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Copilot I believe is $10 a month. iOS and android

Smart truck route2 is maybe 120 for 3 years iOS and android

Igo Navigation is around 70 bucks for all maps including truck. iOS and android.

Mapfactor has a tomtom truck map for 40usd on android. Not sure ios.

That's pretty much it.

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Truckers Path does have some good information... and they are starting down the path of routing too. Probably for a fee.

I use RM but I have CoPilot and bought it for $99 when they were offering it on sale once... I have several issues with it but others loved it. I think my account was hosed as I started as a car to test it out on the cheap then upgraded to Truck... ya, routed me straight through Atlanta all the time and once in St. Louis it had me running staight into a low bridge... lol

Anyway, they too are hoping on the “subscription” model and abandoned my App for the same App but now want $100/year... lol ... NOT!!!

Cheap and Accurate?
    Rand McNally Truckers Atlas!

Good Luck and Stay Safe!!!

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    In the long run a good Rand Mcnally or Garmin stand alone GPS will pay for itself... In the form of less headache and rerouting. I prefer RM... But would also recommend Garmin. I also carry and check the RM atlas when going someplace new... Google maps street view is good for checking that last couple of miles to destination.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  11. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I'm having very good luck with Smart Truck Route 2.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.