GPS Brand?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GCK, Jul 22, 2017.

1. GCK

GCK Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Need a new one. Rand McNally or Garmin. Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    My only exp. has been Garmin dezls.
    Recently cracked the screen on my 1st. one had it 5 +yrs with no complaints.
    So replaced it with the dezl 570 paid $279 On ebay I think it was GPScity.
    but just seen them selling at Loves for $229. Nice unit and nice price at loves

4. GCK

GCK Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
  5. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Garmin Dezl 770. RM's, even the new one, lock up. I know at least a dozen drivers personally that have had that issue with the RM's. I read threads on here that the new RM has been locking up as well. One guy said he has had 4 New RM's in a month bc of issues. The Garmin is a little less user friendly than the RM though. Im not bad mouthing RM, but from everyone I know, and internet searches I have read through, they have software issues. I have had my 770 for 2 years now, and not any issues to report. I don't think you can go wrong either way, I just like the reliability of the Garmin.

Gentlemanfarmer and GCK Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Garmin, get the one from the company that the military, the airline industry and other industries use, they are a direct manufacturer.

slim shady Thanks this.
  7. ASmallFleetDriver

ASmallFleetDriver Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    ChicagoLand
    I have a rand tablet and it has all sorts of problems anytime I update.
    Ended up getting a garmin for half the price and love it

free spirited1, GCK and slim shady Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    copilot.

Works on any android, iphone device. It's cheaper. And it's a one time license purchase. The most user friendly. Doesn't have issues. Tech support on the internet isn't needed. Updates are free. And if you want bells and whistles. There's a free app.

I"ve owned mine 7 years now. Ran it on every phone i've owned. And still have an old tablet that still works. Running android 4.x

9. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    With garmins, just don't rely on them in the north east, they have a ton of issues with routing.

There is a point on 95 in ct by the pilot ts when going south bound. The garmin thinks there is a bridge over the highway that's 12' 9" so it tries to route you onto route 1... biggest problem with that is there is no bridge.

Another issues, South bound over the g.w, they don't recognize that it has an upper deck for trucks, so it tries to route you through the bronx. But going north bound it works just fine, routes you on the upper deck.

It has has A LOT of errors with its restricted bridge weight zones to the point where it will either fail the routing or it tries to take you on no truck routes etc to get to your destination.

To solve most of those problems I just keep it on my bobtail profile. Only way I can get any decent routing from it.

Btw, I have the dezl 770.

10. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Another vote for CoPilot Truck. Made a one-time purchase when it was on sale, for $99.00. Free lifetime updates, when you get a new phone or tablet, you can install it on the new device at no additional costs. Very easy to use.

11. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I have had the DEZL 570, the RM TND710, and now have the TND720. Still use it daily. Only recently have I started to have issues with the 720. Occasional lock ups are an issue, yes, but not a deal breaker unless the unit is defective. But for me, I'm sticking with my 720 for now until something else comes along...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.