Gps used against me

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Cwg, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    I love my Timeline! Lol

It is a risk if you don't want to be tracked though...

And as far as asking for your cell phone, you can say no unless they have a warrant for it.
    If they believe it has evidence they need, they can take it under "Expediency", and if it happens to be unlocked, then may look at it.

The interesting thing I found out recently, due to the way they are starting to check phones and computers at Customs, is that they can compel you to provide a finger, but not a password.

So if you have your phone set to unlock with a fingerprint, they can stick your finger on the phone, just as they can fingerprint you, but they can't force you to give them the password.
    Now, they can leave you sitting in jail until you do, if a judge orders it, but at least it has to come from a judge! Lol
    So if you are concerned about what is on your phone, don't have the fingerprint scanner active.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Since almost everybody now has looked at a GPS or cell phone maps and seen the little blue dot sitting exactly where they are, or at least within a couple of hundred feet on a bad day, convincing anybody that they are Innaccurate enough to not be even considered as evidence is a wild stretch.

And when the judge asks to see the GPS unit, walks out and plugs it into his car, and it shows his exact location, Occam will smile and say "Guilty!"

You are talking about theoretical issues and assumed lack of quality, when evidence and common experience does not back it up, and these days, a GPS showing a wrong location is seen as a surprise, not as a normal event.

The GPS system was designed to be accurate enough to target cruise missiles and bombs, and it has been greatly improved since it first went into service, and unless you can show that this particular model or unit has bad firmware, and shows innaccurate data, everyone will know that you are just trying to get away with log falsification.

4. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    Bad or inaccurate data is easy. My Rand would show my trip top speed sometimes as over 300mph... Should I get a ticket for speeding?

My Garmin sometimes thinks I'm in another state and has a couple miles logged in Alaska even though I don't ever go even close to there..

There is a difference between commercial grade and military grade gps equipment.

not4hire Thanks this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    It believe it is the same principle as when using radar to charge speeders; the radar must be calibrated, tested, and the operator must be certified etc., or the charge can be thrown out.

Mudguppy and Chasingthesky Thank this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    image.jpeg Well here it is Im probably going to lose my cdl now.
    I was clicking thru my gps and noticed it has got me at a max speed of 110 mph.
    Anyone know if a cop will take my cdl on the spot when he ask for my gps and sees how far over the speed limit it says I went?

7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    That doesn't say you went 110 mph. It says the GPS device went 110 mph. Tell the cop you forgot it at home and had to have it FedExed to you.

VolvoTerry Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Or you were at a private racing track, and was using it for a speedo. I can come up with a dozen reasons it would be that high legitimately.

9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Some have stated in previous posts that a cop could go thru you gps info and ticket you on it and it would hold up in court.
    The point is gps tracking is not always acurate like some have stated.
    I assure you that gps has never been in any other vehicle from brand new other than my Columbia .
    And I can also assure you my Columbia has never been 110 mph.

10. Barquero

Barquero Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2017
    USA
    Yes, very good advice...

Yes, very good advise...

I concur to definitely not roll with this new finger print thing that modern phones offer.

Google is a love / hate thing with me. My TimeLine is off. As well; my "back-up" GPS is not set to Track Log "on" when I'm driving. It's "on" when I'm in the woods. All it's other features are still usable. It's not the best for a driver, but good for an outdoors person. It does smoke my "On Board" routing unit. Not going into name brands here. One point on this is that unless one is really venturing into unknown territory there is no need for one to have ones tracking on; on your GPS.

Another point... Roll legal. I don't have my e-items set up like this to hide things. It's just so that the E-Logs are all they have to look at. As well to not give an LEO reason to believe otherwise. And I stay between the lines. I've told my Dispatcher and DBL that they can go jump in a lake if a delivery is going to be a little late. I am going to roll legal. Haven't had an issue yet.

I realize the last post is a couple months old. I just got to reading the eleven pages and felt compelled to respond. Drivers take care...

-

11. Kitty power

Kitty power Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    First was this your personal gps or a company supplied unit? Second the order in which the cop got the unit? After you showed your license? And showed you were from out of state? Reason for asking is a lot of lousy tickets are caused by the fact that coming back to fight ain't always possible! But like they said you're stuck unless it's a company unit or your credit card shows dinner a couple of hundred miles from there.
    Lesson learned turn all the fancy stuff off when stopped and unless hooked to the truck say NO. kitty power

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.