Great News! (Kind of)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by UKwildcatfan, Feb 23, 2017.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    No one, repeat no one is saying sleep apnea doesn't exist or that people don't have it. We are saying that the tests, especially the criterea in which they are administered is crap.

Duurtipoker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    It's amazing how much better you feel after using the CPAP. And I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you never realized how much sleep you were missing.

DRAGON64 Thanks this.
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Perhaps, for some...I can't disagree with you. However, my experience was professional and absolutely life saving. I guess in the trucking industry some places see nothing but dollar signs. For all the sacrifices you truckers make to provide me with EVERYTHING in my house....you deserve better.

DRAGON64 Thanks this.
  5. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD

I can't fully deny that. My first was a home study in which I admit, I did everything I could to mitigate the problem because I just wanted to get to work. #### my health, I needed to earn. I slapped the gear on as instructed then instead of going to bed I sat up in my lazy boy for the night, with a pillow propped behind my head to keep me as upright as possible. Now someone with a milder case than I have might have been able to pass the test in this way.

And just because I have a fat neck (always have) and I'm a bit overweight (I'm sure I'm the first north american with this problem....) I have to do a test???

Wait.....where was I going with this argument.....

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Be very wary for any big Phamacutical chemicals they give you to sleep nothing beats a simple glass of warm milk mixed with about a teaspoon of manuka honey works a treat for a fraction of the price with no side effects (the medical professionals won't tell you this) also try cherry juice mixed with some wine if your at home and not driving!!!

Puppage Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I thought they give drugs? I'm a night driver. The chances of me sleeping at the convenience of a sleep center are zero. I understood they gave you a sleep potion if you were not sleeping.

8. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Hopefully, restless leg syndrome was code for u kicked em when they got near ya.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So they get to bill twice for the same work.

Make it a 10 pound bar of xanax next time.

Sleep labs do not get to sleep. They will let you sleep the first night to get baseline data and when you thought all is heaven the second day they start waking you up just when you get close to dreamland every few hours.

I already know what will happen if they woke me inside of 4 hours they have a raging bear on their hands medicine is bad enough.

There is no way anyone is going to watch me sleep it's one thing being smashed up in a hospital up to here in pain meds and on heart monitor. But trying to sleep with computers, wires and a staff watching? It's not happening.

10. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    Restless leg, or from Seinfeld, Jimmy legs, ain't no joke.

11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Here is my point. If I say to a doctor that I sleep very well, then that should be the end of it. I was told i needed a sleep study at my last physical and I told the doc to shove it and I went somewhere else. I wrote a thread about it on here. The questionnaire should be sufficient. The next thing that bothers me is the reporting requirements. As soon as they develop a machine that monitors corrective lense use or other medication use then that requirement might make sense. I feel it is a massive invasion of privacy and I feel that this apnea thing is by and large a huge money making scheme. When I tell the doctor I don't have problems sleeping and they refuse to believe me then I have a huge problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.