Great News! (Kind of)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by UKwildcatfan, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Understood. However, you might think you're sleeping well,when in fact you're not. That's the point I am trying to make. I had no idea how poorly I was sleeping... for years! It's amazing what the human body can tolerate and make you think it's normal, good sleep. And, when you say the doctors don't believe you... the real tests don't lie.

Duurtipoker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    Ethos, you know I respect you. At least I think I've made that clear. But honestly, you are full of #### on this one. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you do not have years of medical training correct? I get it, it's your body etc etc. I'd love to have told my doctor I didn't have a lemon size tumor in my abdomen. It was just ######## to sell me unneeded surgery. Guess what? I was wrong. It was removed and I felt better. I didn't even know that I was feeling bad! Suddenly my bowels started working properly again. Amazing thing, modern medicine.

I'm not sure if you saw my posts regarding this sleep apnea issue prior to getting treatment, but I was skeptical. More than. But that was my need to earn, to provide, not self preservation. Sometimes, we as men (and sorry women too in many cases) really need to just shut up, and get out of our own way.

I'm not saying you have to believe everything someone tells you. Not even half. But I'll tell you one thing. That Dr, who thinks you may have an issue, isn't thinking about his next paycheck when he says it. His paycheck isn't going to change because one, or even two people doubt him/her. He's doing his job. Maybe he's wrong from time to time. No one is perfect. But in general, he is simply there to tell you what's what. Believe, don't believe. Seek treatment, don't. Ever notice that when you call them on it they aren't calling you like a telemarketer and saying hey, you should get this looked at, soon, comeon man, come back, take these tests with me. No. Usually they say hey, go get a second opinion, or don't do anything. It's in the file, my ### is covered, do what you do.

gentleroger and Puppage Thank this.
  4. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    What?! I think I know how well I sleep, in fact I think I'm the only one qualified to make that assessment. I don't need a sleep study and people making me sleep on my back to tell me how well I did. I sleep, I drive and I feel fine. Now, what would make me sleep worse is paying thousands for a test I don't need and then being forced to wear a mask that I don't need all so some clinic can get their kickback.

I find it amazing, that you could question another man judgement about how he feels. That absolutely amazes me. And, the fact that you believe that doctors have a right to arbitrarily make you take test, at your own expense for something you know you do not have and put your livelihood at risk is downright appalling.

How can you say I'm full of it when the subject in MY Sleep!!!!

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can you pass a DOT physical for your cdl with Xanax in your system?

6. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    The test may not lie but the people interpreting it can. When that "doctor" tried to tell me I needed a sleep study, he conviently had the information for a clinic he "worked with". Right, so after answering no to every question on the questionnaire he suspects sleep apnea? Really, then why ask me in the first place? By that logic lets order up some catscans and a full psych evaluation( at my expense) because maybe I don't really know how I feel.

7. UKwildcatfan

UKwildcatfan Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I guess if I just take one, and have a prescription for just one pill maybe? Hell I don't know. This whole thing is a ####show. It's a #### shame the hoops you have to jump through to drive a truck.

ethos Thanks this.
  8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    It truly is. But hey, someone made money of you, so yea economy or something.

Boattlebot, Chinatown and UKwildcatfan Thank this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I've had 5 each was just as horrible as the first

thejackal and UKwildcatfan Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't take the Xanax if you want to drive trucks. If you must take it to get the CPAP equipment, then ok, but after that don't take it again. Try something else as others have suggested such as Nyquil or whatever these other drivers do to stay legal.
    Make sure the CPAP has a feature to monitor you for 90 days and can download it.

11. UKwildcatfan

UKwildcatfan Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I think I may have been able to sleep, had it not been for the thing in my nose. Also, I live in the south and sleep with the ac on. Usually year round. The room was a toasty 79 degrees where I had to take the study. Also, I know it's February, butit was 82 degrees here that day and rained so that night was humid and miserable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.