Great Plains Transport - A company that cares about drivers... NO BS.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Patrick6240, Apr 22, 2015.

1. TruckGal13

TruckGal13 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Petoskey, MI
    I’m very interested in this company. Do drivers have to take home time at their address on file or are you able to take it in a completely different location...Memphis, TN is home yet would want to get my granddaughter fix in Orlando, FL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3$Bill

3$Bill Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I've taken my home time in several different states. You might want to check about Orlando I don't think we have much freight coming out of Fl

TruckGal13 Thanks this.
  4. ed41041972

ed41041972 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Fletcher, NC
    Do they hire out of NC?

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I don't see why they wouldn't. They get freight out of their not-so-regular lanes all the time. I'm from MI, and they never had a problem moving me. From my understanding, they take drivers from the whole 48.

6. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    I've been gone from GP since the end of June for medical reasons. Casey welcomed me back, even with the stipulation that I'll be quitting in March/April to work the farm. They're at the top of my list, as of now, for when I do come back.

7. Thetommy6470

Thetommy6470 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Choo Choo
    Crap man I just found this thread and was hoping you were still there I was wanting to get some info. I hope your medical issues get straight and things go well for you. I had open heart surgery 2013 in Feb and turned 40 that April. Trucking about killed me lol. I am interested in them since they made their big announcement I would like to know which area you ran the MOST I know a lot of companies say all 48 but have a certain area they spend more time in

Knucklehead Thanks this.
  8. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    Mostly the triangle of Minneapolis - Atlanta - West Coast. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to kick arse, and doesn't mind running reefer. They take good care of their equipment, have a stellar safety record, and pay above average. I'll miss running that hard. It was fun!

Geez man! I hope everything is going good for you now! Yeah, trucking could have killed me; specifically running the way I was. That's why I'm backing off by a few hundred miles a week. 2400 seems about right.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Curious to know the reason why not. I didn't plan on lease purchasing with a carrier, my plan is to buy from a dealer. But GPT seems like the rare kind of company that it could work. What happened?

10. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    January 2019 happened, to start. Between a crappy economy, an extreme rip off repair (lack of repair), and a decline in miles (my rate avg stayed up), it just all collapsed. Good weeks were paying off bad weeks, and leaving me with few checks until I went back to being a company driver. Customers were getting breaks, and I wasn't. But to put some blame where it also belongs, I did not become flexible in what my acceptable rate was until it was too late. I was too naive.

One thing that is overlooked is that costs related to your truck (payment, insurance, trailer rental, etc) are static; the economy isn't. Costs that seem a bit high when things are running good will tear you apart when the economy tightens. Companies will not take a hit if they don't have to. Good paying loads will leave a leased truck high and dry if there's a company truck around. It's just the way it is in this business. Looking back, there were some things I would have done differently. But in the end, a lot of it was luck of the draw. Same thing happened to me when I got my own authority in April of 2008.

GP has several O/Os who paid off their trucks. So to say that they're all scams - I don't believe that.

11. Knucklehead

Jan 21, 2006
    In the end, I can't see it justifying running like that for 3 years, just to get a $45k truck that's been beat to #### with 40k# loads, to show for it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.