Great Plains Transport - A company that cares about drivers... NO BS.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Patrick6240, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Chasing dollars

Chasing dollars Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado
    Yeah, she told me Mike. Same here with too much stuff. Since I leased my house out I put everything in storage, and going to bring all I might need in the truck and just park my suv at the yard. Downloading all my movies to my laptop & new security software. Still on the fence about a microwave. Probably wait till after I'm in the truck. Still need to pick up one of the big laminated map book's.

Do you run a lot of the same lanes, or are you all over the country?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    All 48 states, average load length 1400 miles. Some weeks you might get a really long coast to coast run, others you might have a mix of 1000+ milers mixed with an a occasional short run to get you home or to were the good freight is, basically it depends on what freight is available,and your hours. They make no guarantees about when you will get home for your time off request, but they do a pretty good job of getting you as close as possible. Basically it's 3-4 weeks out(or longer if you really love being on the road if you want), 1 day per week off. Basically you send the TO request in 2 weeks before you want to get home. When I first started, I got through the house for a night to get the rest of my stuff, stayed out for the first 3 weeks( they didn't count that one night off so that didn't count against me) , I was out west most of that time, and decided to stay out until the end of the month, so I got a good 5 days off. Funny thing was, I spent the last day of it getting stuff ready to leave out the next day, like laundry, groceries, etc, and actually found myself itching to get back out there! At my last job I was miserable and dreaded going back on the road. Quite a change.

So far it's been really consistent with miles, I'd say an average of 3000+ miles, and the money has been coming in to the point were I have started putting some of it away. gotta get the ball rolling to I can get my significant other here! (She from a different part of the globe and unfortunately it's a whole bereaucratic maze with this country's immigration system.)

4. Chasing dollars

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado
    Running I-76 (mm59) across before heading north to the Dakota's. 801 miles to go!

5. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Guess it was easy for my parents.
    My stepdad was in the Army so don't think it was all that hard to get Green Cards for us.
    Had my Green Card since I moved here in 1996.

I need to start looking at getting US Citizenship, don't plan on renewing green card.

6. Chasing dollars

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado
    And since I saw the other post about the huddle house at the flying J in Fargo I decided it might be better to go to Mickey D's. Pretty bad there too. Oh well. It's only for one night and I'll stay the next night at the yard and try to get the truck organized before I leave.

Only saw about 10 blue trucks at the yard. Another guy is doing orientation with me tomorrow. It took 12 1/2 hours from Denver to here. 863 miles and had to stop 3 times for fuel in my small suv. BUt i will go top it off tomorrow and wash it to get all the bugs off it before i leave it for a while. And stick some sta-bil fuel additive in it. I'm ready to roll. HOPE it turns out to be as fun to me as last time I was over the road. To ME the union job paid good but it was a pain! And just wasn't happy doing it at all. It works for some, just not me.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Anonymousproxy and mushroom1464 Thank this.
  7. irishwarrior

irishwarrior Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2011
    williamsburg iowa
    are they stead fast on the one year exp i peeked at the website and there requrerments

8. Chasing dollars

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado
    Not sure. Just call in the morning. So far everyone I've meet are real laid back. Real nice facilities. Best welcome so far by a company. Getting on the road tomorrow afternoon!

mushroom1464 Thanks this.
  9. Anonymousproxy

Mar 2, 2015
    More than likely they will want a year or 125k miles, but doesn't hurt to give them a ring.

10. irishwarrior

irishwarrior Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2011
    williamsburg iowa
    i called and they said to me i had to have a year and no way around it

11. Anonymousproxy

Mar 2, 2015
    Yeah,I guess they are strict about that. How much experience do you have so far?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.