Gross Weights?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jul 31, 2019.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I'm currently in the process of updated my cab card from 80k to 93.2k, which is the most I can go according to manufacturers ratings (13.2 steer, 40k drives, and 20k/20k in the split configuration)...
    My confusion is i have read on several different threads, where people stated that a certain state asked them to increase their gross by few thousand in order to obtain a permit for a certain load.
    This makes it seem like you can go above the manufacturers limits as i cant imagine many people would set their cab cards for say 100k in MT if their truck was capable of 105k.
    am i missing something or reading too much into it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    They make provision for higher weights for multi axle units. If you can permit to 160000on a 9 axle and you have access it may make sense to but if you only pull your own trailer and do not do single unit loads there is no reason to register for more than legal for your combination. If you do then most states will permit over legal weights if you are registered for max legal.
    You can register for the max legal on whatever combination you have available if you think you may haul a single unit on that multi axle.
    There is no reason to register for your drives at 40k unless that state allows more than 34k on state highways.
    You truckers atlas has the info state by state in a chart near the front.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    OK, so that where my confusion is coming in. GA for example doesnt allow for anything over 80k on the cab card. so in GA the Interstate system says tandem are restricted to 34k. State roads are allowable up to 40,680lbs.
    so i would be allowable up to 93,200(12,300 +40 + 40) on state roads and 87,200 (13,2 +34+40)on the interstates?

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Are you hauling heavy loads, If you running general freight tag it at 80K.

6. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    i am currently at 80k, and 80k is all you can run on the cab card in GA.
    however im trying to understand the process so i can raise the levels in states that do allow higher numbers.
    right now im limited on general freight, because my combination is heavy. i can only scale around 43k in general freight. so im trying to set up to where i can run heavier loads and OS/OW.

if my factory rating on the axles is 13,200 40k, and 40k, then states that have a bridge formula that allows 40k on a tandem i should be able to run 93,200 max on a permit.
    i should also be able to run 87,200 in states like NE, SD, and others that have no permit up to their max as long as i abide by their bridge formula(34k for tandem).

7. beastr123

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    If GA allows 40680 but only allows 80,000 then 80K is all you need, but you can load an axle set up to that max with no penalty as long as you are under the legal gross.
    This is the way all states set the regs, there can a big discrepancy between gross and aggregated axle and you default to the lower of the two unless you are permitting a single piece load or there are provisions for special loads (such as steel coils in the rust belt).
    That is why you should look to any state west of the Mississippi that does not border on it as possible higher gross with general freight. Unless you are working on special loads within designated areas it is a waste of money to register over 80K east of the Mississippi.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. beastr123

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    At one time I used to load to 80K with my tandem step in TX and then run to OK or KS and load another 5K or 6K to haul to western Canada then do the same southbound from Canada to Texas with stops part way with my sliding spread.

9. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    thats what i was thinking. just upping the weights where i can.
    GA doesnt allow the cab card to go above 80k, but i can get an annual permit that will allow 14.5 high, 12 wide, and 100k total.
    this makes better sense, as i was just told that raising cab card gross may increase insurance premiums.
    this is all helping to better understand where i should and where i shouldnt changing it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.