Gyms at truck stops?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by C_Scrutinizer, Jul 9, 2018.

1. C_Scrutinizer

C_Scrutinizer Bobtail Member

May 21, 2018
    Eugene, Or
    Hi all. I'm in CDL school right now and I'm hoping to schedule an exam in the coming weeks. When I get my CDL I'm thinking I'll start doing OTR for at least a year. And while I'm far from any sort of fitness/health nut, I do try to be mindful of diet and exercise. Otherwise I get real fat, real fast.

I've heard that Snap Fitness has gyms at some truck stops. But I can't seem to find any specifics. So does anyone know of any stops that have gyms on site?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Buy some bigger pants. Just sayin. It’s coming.

4. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
  5. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    And flip flops.

Puppage, IluvCATS and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Go on the TA-Petro website it will list the locations they have with stay fit rooms. That's pretty much the only truckstops that offer anything close to a gym for you.

RedRover and C_Scrutinizer Thank this.
  7. C_Scrutinizer

C_Scrutinizer Bobtail Member

May 21, 2018
    Eugene, Or
    Years ago I would go for walks while slinging around a couple 10 pound dumbells. It looked a little funny but I would burn a ton of calories. Looks like I might need to take that back up.

8. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    None have an actual gym. Some t/a have a "fitness room" But it only has a treamill and a stand up 1 station gym. However I have a recently divorced, severely overweight friend. Who has decided he doesn't want to be fat and out if shape anymore. He says between planet fitness and the YMCA. He can find a place to work out. Close enough to truck stop to ride his biicycle (or uber if not)

C_Scrutinizer Thanks this.
  9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Ok I thought like you before I took this career and quickly found out there no time or place for hitting a gym. Sure occasionally, but rarely. You need to bring your own exercise stuff and routines with you. It can be done. Like convicts in a prison cell, they can do it..,learn how to work out with no gym.

hagarcobra, RedRover and Topzr Thank this.
  10. Topzr

Topzr Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018

The best gym to be a part of in my opinion is planet fitness they have the widest selection of Gyms availability Second is 24 hour fitness.
    Remember plan your route ahead of time. Other things you can do to cut back on your weight is cut back on bread some people think by going to Subway is a healthy way to eat but it actually is not. Don’t need all those extra carbs if you’re not using them.
    If you’re a health nut you also know to stay away from the soda machine just water. If you can help getting soda at least fill your drink all the way up with ice first so you and cut back.
    Buy a set of 5 pound dumbbells and just do arm curls and arm lift to keep your arms and going flabby . It also helps to have a dog get your butt out of the seat to make sure your little friend can use the restroom don’t be afraid to walk around me myself I have a Siberian husky he definitely keeps me going . That’s mandatory .If you ever stop at a rest area or a truckstop and you need to walk to the restroom or walk to the shop make sure you park far away to give you a reason to walk further everything counts just stay vigilant and you won’t gain weight.

For the first four years of truck driving I gained a lot of weight. But after taking a look at my disgusting self I lost over 125 pounds and kept it off you can easily do it to

11. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Don't listen to these fools telling you to buy sweatpants

Dude, just get running shoes, shorts and run 2 miles a day. Throw in some situps and pushups. You will get stares from the fat ##### that sit in their truck -- I used to get them all the time. Get a jumprope too. stay away from the ##### hot dogs and the soda. later

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.