Gyms at truck stops?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by C_Scrutinizer, Jul 9, 2018.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you actually give two ####s about not being a repulsive slob, go flatbed. That will supplement a good deal of workouts. I lost about 5lb today in sweat unsecuring and untarping a suicide loaded coil and 4 skidded coils, then driving 200 miles and securing and tarping a load of lumber. That’s excluding the 2lb I dropped after that Iron Skillet exploded out of me a little while ago.

You can actually eat healthy out here and take care of yourself, but if you’re really serious about the gym, you’ll get plenty of workout time just doing your job at a company that does a lot of tarping and running flatbed.

I climbed on and off of a trailer about 15 times today. I threw some 130lb dead weight about shoulder height 6 times today. I threw some 80lb dead weight shoulder height about 6 times today. I carried 30lb of chains times 7 about 1/4 mile today. Each. And I sweat out at least a gallon today. Literally I had to change clothes 3 times. I also made a ton of money today doing it.

So if you actually want to stay half way decently in shape, go flatbed. You’ll be working for your money. You’ll be making better money than most of these guys out here and you’ll be in shape for the most part.

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I tried that, but it made my hip joints and ankles start hurting.

4. Topzr

Topzr Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    I have whatever he’s having dam the motivation so strong

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good idea and they look good with suspenders.
    [​IMG]

SOAthor Thanks this.
  6. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Clip-on suspenders with sweats. The ultimate in trucker comfort.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    I always go for the flat bread at subway, or the wraps, as lots of normal bread gives me other issues from the gluten including congestion, Asthma is actually listed as a symptom of gluten intolerance (cpaps anyone?). Also canned veggies are very healthy when it comes to the carbs.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Diet is everything.

You don't need fancy machines to get in shape either. A pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 40-50lbs will get you in pretty decent shape. You won't look like Arnold but you'll definitely catch the hotties checking you out.

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Do everything you can to get exercise where ever you are at with your truck. Will probably be your best chance for success. Getting a gym membership at a gym located all over the country sounds good. Then you get out there and its hard enough finding places other than truck stops to eat. Then you gotta get on your phone and find a gym you can get into, use your hours to drive there, or spend money to uber there and then back to your truck. All the while you are already tired and you know you gotta be up again the next day early to get going again.

I saw a guy in Georgia St. Mary's on the FL border he had small portable gym in his truck/side compartment storage thing. He was very well built and he had dumbells and a bench to lay on. He did that right at the truck stop he was parked at next to his truck. Then he put everything away and drove off. That's the way to do it.

Either that or work for a food company and get paid to workout. :)

10. Rottedlog

Rottedlog Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Had a buddy do the gym thing, I think it was Snap but it could have been a different one. Basically he had a consistent run and would stop at the same gym on the way down and shower after he worked out. He was in pretty good shape so it's doable.

11. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Where is the best place to put a bicycle when on the the road?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.