H.R. Ewell journey (Noob to tanker)

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Stage350z, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Stage350z

Stage350z Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Hey guys, going to start an experience thread on them. I have high hopes.

H.R Ewell is a smaller family owned Dry and liquid bulk with about 200 drivers.
    They pay percentage of the load.. Starting at 23% with .5 Increase every 6 months.
    Benefits are looking pretty good so far as well. Also, Detention pay and breakdown pay is pretty decent as well compared to others.. 18 P/H after 2 hours or immediately after a breakdown.
    Mostly small mack and peterbilt's as drivers are normally out 2-3 nights per week.

So, I put in an application with no tanker experience. They called me a couple days later to set up an interview and a driving test. Interview went well, they went over everything with me an answered all questions I had.. The recruiter also drives.. So, that was nice.. We went on a 30-45 minute driving test.. Taking turns, had me back.. Pretty simply.. Mixture of city and highway.

Following the interview and driving test he offered me the job.. I accepted.
    They sent me for a drug test right then and there to expedite the process.

So, I start next Monday.
    I'll keep this thread updated with my experiences.

Also, If anyone has suggestions for me.. Let me know. I'm coming out of a day cab hauling oversize loads for pennies to this.. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mainah

Mainah Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Winslow, Maine
    You'll enjoy pulling tankers. It's the best thing I've ever done! I don't know how often it is you guys come up to Maine, but I usually see at least one Ewell truck a week.

Smut Thanks this.
  4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Good luck driver, I had my time at ewell too. Tankers are the best trailer to pull and i happily wouldn't pull anything else. I just wont do it for them, again.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    I switched from reefers to tankers and it's been great. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Subscribed!

6. MrJoop

MrJoop Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I worked for Ewell and they paid ok and treated me well. Their shop guys are great and it was nice to always have clean equipment. I'm hauling fuel, home every day and a little more money but I miss getting free candy at some deliveries :-D

dennisroc Thanks this.
  7. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    23% is a joke better be at least 25%.I live near there terminal in east earl pa and I pull tanker but heck no would I pull for that.Reminds me of elite services in denver pa that wanted to pay me 21.65% to pull a flatbed running ltl to florida and said I could make 1000 a week,Please wake me up when your serious but you get to drive a 379/389 pete that's governored at 70 lmao!If you ain't making at least 25% your getting robbed!

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  8. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Heck better off going to brothers transport right next door and getting 21 dollars an hour and haul milk.

rabbiporkchop and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  9. LTSJeff

LTSJeff Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2017
    @Stage350z any updates?

dennisroc Thanks this.
  10. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    It must not have went well. He was last seen Dec 12th, 2017

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What if they were to offer you 30% of a rate 20% lower than what you're currently working for? That 30% wouldn't look so good.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.