Had a CDL 30 yrs ago, starting process all over so I can drive family farm stuff.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by davefred99, Aug 15, 2020.

1. davefred99

davefred99 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Hello, This is my first post here and I don't think I am your typical driver but I could use some advice. As the title says I once had a then Class 1 CDL because I worked in construction as a younger man. I mostly hauled materials and drove crane rigs, water trucks, dump trucks and move equipment. I had my license for about 10 yrs but did not drive everyday because I was a heavy equipment operator.
    Fast forward now about 30 years later I am now semi retired living in Northern Ca. and working part time on my Sister & Brother in Laws family farm. I need my CDL Class a to drive some of the trucks, and move equipment. I will also be driving a water truck for fires because my brother in law is a contract worker for the US Forrest Service too.
    The only recent experience driving Trucks is on the Farm and I did work for a Towing Company for about one year but all the trucks were just under the 26000lb Class A restriction even though thy did have air brakes and diesel engines and 6 or 10 spd transmissions.
    I have recently taken and passed all the test I need for my CDL permit as well as a tanker,air brake,multiples and doubles / triples endorsement. I also have a current DOT medical as required. So I am currently getting some driving experience with my brother in law in the passenger seat but not necessarily everything I need to pass the current pre test Safety and Driving Tests. My biggest concern is passing the Safety walk around and in cab break tests. I also could use some coaching on my backing skills.
    I do not intend to work for any OTR trucking companies and just need my Class A so I can work in the Family Farm business. My brother in law says he will pay for a truck rental and one day class but I am not sure that is what is best for me. Instead I am thinking I need at least a 1 wk refresher course but would prefer one on one training and not a standard school that puts several drivers in a group and you only get limited seat time.
    I know that this is not the typical way most drivers go about getting there license but I have no interest in attending 3 to 6 week full course since I just need to get back up to speed and pass the test so I can work in the family business. This is not a career move for me just a way to get back in the game and stay legal.
    So I am hoping someone can give me some idea of were in Northern California I might get the training I am looking for and at what cost. The closest schools I have found so far are either in Redding or the Sacramento area. I live in Lassen County.\
    Any suggestions or advice is welcome, Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. davefred99

Aug 13, 2020
    I was hoping I would get some feedback or suggestions on fast track basic schooling. As I indicated originally just need to get my Class A to stay legal moving Farm equipment and driving a Water truck. I have no interest in becoming a full time or OTR driver.
    So I contacted Jiffy Trucking School in Redding and explained my situation and past experience. They recommended either there 2day class which includes 11 hours of one on one behind the wheel fast track training or there 3 day 17 hour driving course. Each class includes about an additional 4hrs of pre trip safety inspection training and a 2 hour simulated driving test the day of your DMV drive test. The cost including truck rental and one on one driver training is $1495.00 for 2days or $1950.00 for three days plus one free retest rental if required.
    I have seen other schools who offer more hours of training for similar prices but its not one on one and includes a lot of class room instruction. I imagine for some that might be a better option especially if you you are planning on going to work for another company. I already have work lined up for our family farm and working fires in a water truck.
    I am sure some will say that anything other than a certified course with at least 120 hours of training is needed but how much of that is class room time and just riding or watching others do there thing.
    I am open to suggestions or comments will be deciding in the next few days because there is about a 3~4 week wait for a DMV drive test appointment currently and I need to get it done.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  4. davefred99

Aug 13, 2020
    Seems I am talking to myself on this forum. Perhaps there just are not many drivers out there in my situation to offer much input or advise.
    I have pretty much decided to go with Jiffy Trucking School in Redding Ca. I talked to David one of the instructors there for about 30 minutes and he said based on my past and current experience I could probably get by with there 2 Day course but I am probably going to go for the 3 day just to be safe. All training is One on One ,no class room focusing on the things required to pass the driving test including the Pre Trip Safety inspection,In Cab Air Brake test , Backing and the Road test. He told me about 17 hours will be actual in the seat Driving and Backing instructions. The thing I like is they also one free Re Test if you fail the Driving Test on the first try. You do have to pay for additional instruction time if you need it though.
    I have searched for other training options but have found very few offer true One on One training . Other Drainers do offer fast track courses but most are combine classes with 3-4 drivers per instructor so a good portion of your training is watching others while waiting your turn to get in the seat and actually drive.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    If your sister's farm has a tractor and trailer why not just practice backing and pre trip on the property. Combined with on the highway practice w your BIL in the truck as you drive would seem to be a less expensive and more casual way to prepare for a CDL license test.
    Plenty of online material to help u prepare concerning the pretrip and you say you've driven before and that should give you somewhat of a leg up on the operating aspect.

6. davefred99

Aug 13, 2020
    Thanks for your reply, Dennix

Its not so much about the money as it is just wanting to make sure I can pass the pre-trip and driving tests. I back up trailers a lot but not semi trailers into a dock or parallel parking blind side. most of my recent backing is with a Dodge Dully & a 20ft goose-neck stock trailer. My Brother in Law owns a Towing & Transport business so I do have access to some other big Rigs its just not like I can go practice anytime. I have to wait till he has a run somewhere so I can go with him and then lots of time there is not much time for instruction just get in and go. Time is Money and there is not a lot of down time for practice.
    With all the fires going on right now around here there is not much chance to do anything. This is the main reason to get my CDL, So I can fill in on a Water Truck for fires. That and moving Farm Animals and Equipment are mostly what I will be doing. I will also do some AAA car transport with a goose-neck car trailer but its all local or within a 200mile radius. I need my CDL for that because the Trailer puts me over weight for non CDL.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Reason for edit: not finished
  7. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'm in MN and we have outfits that will rent trucks and gooseneck trlrs to pass a CDL test along with the practice time.
    Maybe somewhere near you has a similar operation. While you can take a test and get your license in a gooseneck it's no substitute for a bit of seat time in a tractor trailer.
    I suggest practice time w the gooseneck (same principle,) and the same w the pre- trip. I know it's not the same but you can develop a pattern that will help when it comes time to test.
    If it was me I'd go that route before I spent 2 grand. But if money is not a issue but time is go for it

Minnesota CDL Truck Road Test And Testing- Class A Leasing

PS. the CA. test must be different from here cause we have folks licensed and driving semis who can't even speak english, I'm betting you'll do fine.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  8. davefred99

Aug 13, 2020
    I might not be explaining my situation completely. I am in a rural part of Norther California and need to take my test in a Semi with a trailer that have air brakes, not just a Pickup and Goose-Neck trailer. I have taken all my endorsement written tests for everything accept Hazmat and School Bus. Once I have my CDL I could be driving just about anything just not Long Haul or OTR.
    I have looked into truck rental and there are no local truck rentals basically that is what I am doing with this Trucking School that is why its One on One Training. Truck Rental with an Instructor is $95 per hour including Fuel for additional instruction time. Since I only have a CDL permit I need a licensed driver with me at all times, So I cant just rent a truck and go practice. As I said I can get some free practice time with my Brother in Law but its hit or miss when it fits in with his schedule. Its not every day or just when I feel like it.

9. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I guess w your limited options that 3 day course for $2000 w a retest option sounds like the quickest way to your CDL.
    You can still find good online pretrip guides for practice, you'd hate to fail on that portion, and you sound like you understand the concept of backing/docking just lacking the seat time.
    Preperation is key.
    And truth told w the CDL you could do longhaul/OTR once you gained tractor trailer experience.
    Best of luck to you. I've been driving truck over 45 yrs now and bullsh**ed my way in back mid 70s.

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I had a class c back in the 80s when I was a kid. Mostly drove a c30 dump but we had a old White we used to pull a dump with also on the farm.

Back than no one looked at farm trucks.

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Do farms not have an exemption in california??? In Idaho you only need a class d drivers license to drive farm trucks as long as you stay within 150 miles of the main farm and only haul said farms stuff with said farms trucks.

Thats how I learned to drive truck, drove Ag. Exempt without a CDL for years hauling Hay, Equipment, Cattle, Potatoes, Grain, ect.... Just had to stay within that 150 mile radius.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.