hair follicle companies pay more?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Northeasterner, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Hey guys,
    Some thoughts here.... I've noticed freight rates going up and up and up, pay too. Now, some companies are starting to hair follicle test that previously wouldn't've. US Express Variant subsidiary is a good example. And that's fine, but let's face it:

a company that hair follicle tests wants a "premium" driver

anybody can down a few detox drinks to pass a pee test, but AT LEAST 10% of drivers by estimates can't make it thru a hair follicle. It looks back 90 days, so companies that hair follicle test are asking for a REALLY clean driver, one who is verifiably cleaner than most other drivers.

So they should pay workers more for the guarantee. and in general, I've noticed a lot of the hair follicle testing companies *do* seem to pay a few cpm more.

what do you guys think? is my thinking all messed up or am I onto something here? Kinda like a lotta minimum wage food service jobs don't even bother testing for weed, because they know they get what they pay for?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    My take: I think it's an actuary thing. Actuaries (the number crunchers whose work is used for setting insurance prices among other thibgs) seem to have found a correlation between those passing hair tests and lower incidence of costly collisions or other mishaps. I don't have the hard data to back this claim, it is speculation on my part. But many have said that the insurance companies offer lower insurance rates if drivers are hair follicle drug tested, and that makes sense. Many of the biggest companies are likely self insured, but if there were no discernable difference in outcomes, why would they cost their business 10% of potential employees during a period of acute driver shortages? And following that, if a company spends less on liability, it stands to reason some of that savings would make it's way into the drivers paychecks.

Just a theory.

nredfor88 and Northeasterner Thank this.
  4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If cost savings were really passed on to the drivers, then my suggestion to my terminal manager years ago was valid; get me an old CF cab over, pay me 10 cents a mile more than the other shmucks in this yard, then I’ll stop complaining about these new crap boxes we drive!

Northeasterner and Kyle G. Thank this.
  5. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Schneider does hair follicle testing and they don't pay that much. It's somewhat demeaning.

Northeasterner Thanks this.
  6. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Knight, dry or reefer does a hair test. Here are my checks from last year, I drove for them briefly.
    knight edited checks.pdf

7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I don’t care what they pay, I’m not dealing with bean counter BS

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I personally don't see how drug testing impacts a driver's pay. The only thing that truly impacts a drivers pay, is the driver him/herself. Companies are going to pay whatever they pay, and for experienced drivers, it will be competitive. 45 - 55 cpm, that range is somewhere around what your average experienced driver will make. However many miles that driver runs will tell the story. That number range i put up is not including incentives. Straight up pay and miles. Companies pay what they can afford based on their freight and business model.

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    No, they should not pay more simply because a driver is legally qualified to operate a CMV.

Remaining drug free is a requirement to operate a CMV. You don't get paid extra for following the rules.

born&raisedintheusa and Team818 Thank this.
  10. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2021
    I guess I still do not get it. Being drug free is a requirement to get and to keep a CMV. Seeing people wrapped up in what sort of drug testing xyz company is going to do is just ridiculous to me. Dont do them.....pretty simple really

11. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    Just think if they gave drivers a second hair test after 3 months or so................ There would be alot of drivers cleaning out their Trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.