Half way through transport school and it sucks! The reality of my trucking school experience.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by JJRigger, May 31, 2017.

1. JJRigger

JJRigger Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2017
    The schedule of the nightmare experience.
    How it starts...
    2 weeks in class. Just a verbal barrage of trucking information. from PSI to safety to log books. I swear my trainer does coke.

1st week in truck
    Trainer was drunk the night before and telling me how he stayed out drinking till 3am both 1st and second day. Barely explained the double clutching process. I didn't end up driving till the third day. complained to the school that i felt unsafe with that driver. The school gave me the the last two days off so they could get me a new trainer.

2nd week was better. I actually got someone who could train but didn't spend much time on drop and hook, circle checks and air pressure tests.

3rd week new trainer again. Spent time on driving first two days, I have today off. Trainer complained that we didn't spend enough time on the 3 main tests drop and hook, circle checks and air pressure tests (not having any previous knowledge of what we did with the last trainer...very little communication between teachers and management at this school). I have the rest of this week then at the end of next week I have my official ministry of transportation test.

At this point I'm thinking of downgrading from my transport truck license to my dump truck because there are less tests. The weird thing with these trucking schools is they accept anyone. Regular drivers license and clean driving record your accepted. It should be a 3-4 month course. Long story short $8,395.00 for this #### and I'm pretty scared for the final test. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those Canadian cdl schools are expensive.

HotH2o Thanks this.
  4. JJRigger

Mar 6, 2017
    yah and you get the feeling of wtf how do they not have a proper mandate for teachers to adhere to yet and a proper schedule to follow considering they let anyone in the school. There are no prerequisites other than a G license and a clean driving record. I said " I've only driven uhaul trucks"...."no problem we got you" lol

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Study hard and get the transport truck license. Dump trucks can be feast or famine during the winter months.

bark77 and speedyk Thank this.
  6. JJRigger

Mar 6, 2017
    yah but i have to pay off the school tuition. So drive a DZ license truck to get it payed off and then do the AZ test after studying more

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Seems like a good idea.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Wow, not sure what to say about the school but I say go for the AZ. Demand they make up for your lost time.

Mike2633, Jazz1 and Puppage Thank this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Who is in charge there. Voice your concerns and suggest ministry of colleges as well as MTO be contacted. Get your money back!

Dan.S and tinytim Thank this.
  10. JJRigger

Mar 6, 2017
    Yah there needs to be something said. You think with a giant school like transport training centres of Canada it would be half decent. But it just so f'd up.

tinytim Thanks this.
  11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Friend of mine took their course in Thunder Bay recently. No issues like what you are getting. Also there really are no qualifications to be a instructor. It only pays $18 to $20 per hour so not likely attracting much talent. Get into their office and explain the situation! You don't need TTTC getting a once over by MTO after you get your license and have to go through it all again because of their inadequate training which is what happened in BC

JJRigger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.