Halliburton Entry Level positions w/o CDL?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by polarisryan, Sep 1, 2013.

1. polarisryan

polarisryan Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Hello! I'm new around these parts. Been lurking for the last week or so, as I explore a new career after getting laid off and being unemployed for the past 18 months.

I've been exploring different aspects of truck driving (I grew up in Alaska around equipment operators and dump truck drivers my whole life so I've always loved trucks), and ultimately it comes down to this: I want to work in the oilfields.

I don't currently have a CDL, nor do I have the funds to attend a school to get one. Also, in case it's brought up, my state does not offer CDL assistance for people on unemployment, and I've exhausted my federal grants from completing my undergrad degree a few years ago.

So, my question for you is this: would I be better off applying for entry level frac/cement operator assistant jobs at Halliburton, with no CDL or experience? Or, should I consider going to one of the OTR companies (Central Refrigerated and Prime Trucking pique my interest the most), get my CDL for "free," do my time there, and then start looking for oil jobs?

Would I even stand a chance at Halliburton (or any other company that offers entry level positions and CDL training) without my CDL or oilfield experience? I am very flexible in where I end up, whether it's TX, ND, PA, etc., as my wife and I are just looking to start fresh from this period of our lives, and provide a nice life for our two kids.

I thank you in advance for any advice you may offer. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shadow Captain

Shadow Captain Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Denver,CO
    All the big companies have websites for applications---give it a try! I've talked to many people over the years who have been given company paid CDL training in the oilfields.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Ryan: If you can get an oilfield job, whether fracing or hauling crude for Schneider, take it. (I hear Schneider hires graduates, they might have a school or put you through school).

Avoid OTR freight. Hell, avoid freight, period.

Lav-25 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. polarisryan

Aug 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been doing tons of research, and now I'm going to shotgun some apps to places I've read take entry level folks. I do want to avoid OTR if I can, if only because I'd prefer a bit more home time than 3-4 days per month, particularly while my kids are young.

6. Crazy_Aardvark

Crazy_Aardvark Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Stevens has a tanker division, might try there too.

7. Seattle206

Seattle206 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Here is a Couple Hot tip I can verify for you right now! One of the people I got hired in Casper Wyoming is transferring from Cement to Bakersfield CA; and Yes they will send you to School for Halliburton the catch is you have to stay a year to not owe the money.

#2 Gazelle Just opened a Transport Crude Oil Yard on the same street as Halliburton there and is offering a $10,000 Dollar sign on bonus he told me. This is going on right now in Casper WY!

kee1227 and kevin7845 Thank this.
  8. polarisryan

Aug 30, 2013
    Oregon
    I put in around 12 apps for various Entry Level Operator Assistant jobs with Halliburton over the weekend, including some near Casper. I plan to put some more in throughout the week.

Has anyone been through the Halliburton process (or know somebody)? Just curious what to expect for length of application review, interview, etc...

9. warrior81

warrior81 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Somewhere
    Any luck so far?

10. Darracq

Darracq Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2011
    ks
    A friend of mine went tx and got hired with them, he had no cdl, they had him working in the shop in cleburn i think, untill he got his cdl A. i think he was on a wire line crew lots of hours, they dont pay the best but its a start i guess.

11. polarisryan

Aug 30, 2013
    Oregon
    So far I've had two emails of "not selected," but they are in areas I presume have relatively few positions, and go to the more experienced guys (Rock Springs, WY and Grand Junction, CO) I looked at my jobs page this morning, on Halliburton's website, and there is one posting that I applied for which has closed, but it still says I'm "in process," so I'm optimistic! :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.