Handling hometime issue - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by barrister, Sep 14, 2007.

1. barrister

barrister Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I have been driving for what I consider a great company for seven months and it is my first driving job.

They have always been good about getting me home and giving me my earned hometime when there; often a few hours more than my earned hometime.

However, last week I was put on a load through the house which would have called for a sacrifice of about twelve hours of my 72 hours earned at home. I argued with the dispatcher and told him I hated to sound insubordinate but I did not want to do that load because it would cut into precious home time which means a lot to me. We argued about ten minutes over possible solutions such as working out a relay (which he would not do) or getting more time on the load (which he could not do). Finally when he forced the load on me (which by our company's rules he may do) I told him I would pick it up on time (which I did) and I would have it at its destination (which I did four hours early) but I would not go home. I would sit with it and take my time on it, even resetting at some point midway between pick up and delivery. That way I would have at least one more day at home once he got me there in the next week. I realize it turned out to be a slow load where I did not make much money, but money does not motivate me beyond having bills paid and a few simple wholesome pleasures of life, and I had a good time exploring some small towns while en route.

A good new driver does not want to be known for causing trouble in his company, or as a whiner, but this good new driver insists on every moment at home he has earned.

Is there any other way some of you have learned to handle these situations? It was slightly inconvenient getting home a week later than due, but it was nice to get an extra day home. It was annoying to sit on a truck for four days on a two day load, but hey this is trucking and we all have to sacrifice something for the good of the company sooner or later. What would some of you had done?

I thought about going to the dispatcher's boss but I feared that would not be worth getting my name known for controversy.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coolblink

coolblink Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Corona, CA
    i would just suck it up and delv the load asap, i always try to delv the load b 4 its due and get another load because its only your money you are westing when u take your time on a load

4. barrister

barrister Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2006
    One thing I forgot to mention is it was an "appointment" load where they would not (and also COULD not) take it early.

5. Cynical Driver

Cynical Driver <strong>"Eternal Cynic"</strong>

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Unfortunately in this industry we can't always be home when we want to be, no matter what anybody promises.

I would have probably gone home with the agreement that I would have an extra day on the following hometime, for leaving early. That way I could take the load and be on time, but still get back that home time and a little extra for the trouble, without losing any pay.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, I think you have just answered your own question here. I just removed some of you post in the above quote, and you've answered yourself.

You are right, you don't want to "put a jacket" on yourself, and you REALLY don't want to go over your dispatcher's head on something as relatively minor as this. Remember, your dispatcher will NEVER forget that happening. You know what they say about payback.

7. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Just curious, what company is this? If a load is going THROUGH the house i don't see how that would count against your "earned" home time. I am just curious how this works out, with the company that i drive for i am home every weekend, unless i stay out for more than one week, then I'm home a day for every week that I'm out, if a load goes through my house and i spend 12 hours there, i would still get my days at the end of the week, because as far as my company is concerned I'm still "On Duty" with a load that is going to be delivered.

8. barrister

barrister Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2006
    It's Roehl Transport. As I said, they have been good to me and I don't consider this issue to be grounds to stop working for them; only something that I handled the best way I could but kept wondering if there was a better way. Some of our drivers upon hearing my story urged me to handle it by going to the dispatcher's boss but the more I think about it the more that course seems best reserved for the big issues. Part of the reason I handled it the way I did was my consideration of how fair they have been in the past and they said they really needed this load done (?).

Once in a while they send a load "through the house" with the understanding that you get your hometime while under a load, with permission to safely and legally park and log off duty while home. In the past I have always gotten the appropriate amount of time, and once in a while even gotten some extra time for my trouble; all without begging or pushing for it.

I am usually out 11-13 days and home 3, which by industry standards for new drivers is pretty good.

9. coolblink

coolblink Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Corona, CA
    that sucks when they give us "appointment loads" seems like you had no choice, actually when i get does type of loads if they are going any where close to home i just have the wife pick me up at the truck stop even if i have to go 30-50 miles out of the way ill spend the extra time at home and then go on my way but i only do that on loads that wont be accepted early

10. RavenFan

RavenFan Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Taneytown,Md.
    Hi barrister. I will be starting RDTC training 10/08. I am looking forward to working for Roehl. If you don't mind me asking How many miles are you averaging per week?

11. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Thats getting to be average home time now. When i first started driving it was not unusual to be out a month at a time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.