Hanging up the keys

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Shackdaddy, Jan 14, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You can maintain your CDL by just self-certifying you are using it in a manner that doesn't require you to get the medical exam.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

Dogs and money, sign me up.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I agree. The government has their paws on just about everything nowadays. Way more then ever.

5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Wonder when the people that stand on the corner at Home Depot and Lowe’s will start to move into your market place ?

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  6. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Years ago between jobs / careers before going into trucking I hustled flipping furniture, refinishing some, etc. Started out with a regular storage unit and my old Ford ranger pickup. Did $500 or so a week on profit. After I tested the waters for about a year I moved into a huge 4000 square-foot warehouse that within six months was packed wall-to-wall with furniture. Lol all on my own. All day wheeling and dealing. Mostly cash too. I had weeks that I made over $3000. Lived at the warehouse to keep overhead down, it had a bathroom and shower stall. It was fun, my own boss, hustling all day, but also hard work, lots of miles on my truck etc.
    ultimately I got big enough to where the city caught wind of it and wanted to know where my permits and all this other nonsense was. I decided to just shut it down. Went into trucking right after that. But if I ever needed to survive and make a $, I know how.

7. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    I have an app that tracks mileage and other business expenses. Putting 1/4 of my take home pay in a separate account for taxes.

I’m in Houston. So this is a good market for gig work. I own most everything you can find in a Home Depot/ Lowes so I can do just about any kind of home maintenance work. Tree trimming seems to be a goldmine, I’ve got a pole saw and a pickup truck. And now I’ve got a back yard with stacks of firewood. Along with a Saint Bernard and a Pointer that are staying the weekend as many dog owners would rather use an app and give their pets a house and a yard to stay in rather than a cage in a kennel.

But app work is ultimately what you make it. You need for your customers to like you so they’ll give good reviews.

If you’re gonna do this you tube is your friend. Lots of videos and tips and list of most common mistakes.

I’m gonna be door dashing today and tomorrow for the NFL playoffs. Hopefully tips are good. Then Monday I’m taking off just because I can, making your own schedule is very cool. Then the rest of the week doing moves and a couple more tree trimming jobs.

Not always glorious work, but it beats being a company driver with a camera in your face.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  8. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    That's Interesting!! What "manner" is acceptable? Intrastate Travel?

9. tscottme

If one is "hanging up the keys" thenon my state's CDL self-certify form there are 1 or 2 options which, if checked, won't require you to keep an active medical card on file. On the form linked below Option 2 and Option 4 will not require you to keep updating your medical card. Or, if you prefer, just keep getting medical exams and self-certify with your new card. Here is Ohio's form UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE DRIVE COMMERCIALLY WITHOUT A CURRENT DOT MEDICAL.

Siinman Thanks this.
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I kept my CDL for over 4 years by self certifying "Excepted Interstate". You can also Self certify "Excepted Intrastate" but that will get you a "K" restriction on the back of your license meaning no Interstate driving. While that "K" only applies to the CDL, I wouldn't trust some local cop to see it that way.
    The excepted categories cover things like some custom farming operations and driving for a Volunteer fire dept.

11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Bro make that money. Eff the ones that hold you back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.