Hanging up the keys

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Shackdaddy, Jan 14, 2022.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    in my state, one cannot do this, unless he/she is a state employee, former fire dept driver (engineer they are called here).

otherwise, you either go through the nonsense of keeping up with the DOT medical, renewal fee's and hazmat testing, or turn in the CDL.

kinda sucks.

for me, when i retired?

it was a very simple trip to the DMV...and "here you go, stick it, and gimme a real person's operators license"..."and lemme alone for the rest of my stinkin' life".......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    What state ?

4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I guess if you could find a way to make it work for yourself, more power to you. I thought about monetizing my YouTube channel from time to time, but I've had that up since 2007 and it's a hit and miss game all the time.

However, another couple of things I've been doing is just researching different career paths based on things that wouldn't drive me coconuts and cosplay costumes. I've been slowly crafting an EVA foam armor based on the Commonwealth troops from The Walking Dead. Slowly perfect on 10 hour breaks and such and then do some Instagram reveals. Gets enough feedback on Reddit and IG, I could start doing commissions based on my own templates.

Other thing to do would be to start working on a Comp-Sci degree at ENMU or some other cheaper state U. Use that to either go into some sort of work-from-home data entry or insurance.

But the coolest idea I've heard of yet is investing in a pedi-cab bicycle and traveling to festivals. Hang out near the parking areas and offer lifts to the entrance and back. I've already installed Bafang e-motor kits on regular bicycles, so putting one on a second hand or home built pedi-cab would be a breeze to get some extra power.

As an added bonus, I could also take up some simple cooking and use the pedi-cab to peddle burritos to remote sites.

Attached Files:

5. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Gratz. To hell with that sitting in docks for free stuff.

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Got another cash job lined up. A realtor paying me cash to trim trees and pressure wash the driveway of one of her properties. All day job I’m doing for a flat $700. I didn’t know how to price it I just threw that number out there and she quickly says yes. It’s a big driveway and sidewalk. But I’m thinking she’d of paid more. Still I’m quite happy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.