Has *anyone* come up with a better mount for the 2017+ Cascadia?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by volvo244t, Apr 18, 2022.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I think that wouldnt be to bad of an idea seeing its a midroof and you pull a fb...Again i would suggest some bonding some how and something as tall as possible but a guy wire like or something that will stop wind from leaning it back..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Yup bonding is an ongoing process. The issues you brought up were my concerns too. If I keep this truck it will be a project for the impending warm weather after the Missus's garden is up and running!

JD

4. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I had a 10k on the back of mine waaayyyy back(full size sleeper) and had excellent #'s on the analyzer but reflect was crazy..
    I was ojt with a field strength meter after i discovered there was such a thing and had almost nothing foward n back but boat loads out the side..
    I put up a 5' firestick and had to lean it back(cause of the sleeper)but it would hit trl nose on sharp turns..
    Range was at best 10-15 mi but with a mid roof i think you will do good..
    AFTER the mrs gets her garden..lol

5. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Perhaps, but at the expense of messing with the RF ground.

I ended up just getting the Wilson mount and going with my trusty ol' 102 for now.

But... it's a moot point, because one of the ####ing modules in this truck dumps noise into my receive. If not more than one. Why can't these ####ing engineers come up with electronic systems that don't spew RFI!? I guess they probably could, but it would cost them too much money per bean counters... hell, maybe I should get the FCC on their ### so it costs them too much money anyway, so just do it right the first time...

rabbiporkchop and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I think id rather drill and tap a hole for a set screw, then loc title the set screw... Not the antenna.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

I got one from bobs(wilson style in stainless)for the evolution and i still have it....It doesnt match up to the latest style but it can be re drilled to fit if you wanna try..I will be makeing an attempt on mine at some point..

Attached Files:

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

I wouldnt cause it takes away the rf bond to the door and its just not very stable if you have a heavy antenna..

9. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    If your truck is equipped with an inverter, that is usually the biggest source of RF noise! A real PIA to deal with! Stock up on ferrites and good luck!
    One of these does help out a lot with that background noise, but it's not cheap!
    West Mountain Radio - CLRspkr ClearSpeech® DSP Noise Reduction Speaker
    I wouldn't be without mine..........

JD

10. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    It is but it's not the inverter, turning it on or off makes no difference. For what it's worth, this truck is equipped with a pure sine inverter, and generally those don't produce interference like the cheaper stepped squarewave (modified sine) inverters do. Besides, I only turn on the inverter when I need to use it.

I do plan to get one of those WMR speakers. But for the short term I'm gonna be picking up a TinySA and running it with the antenna off looking for anything I can find producing 27mhz RFI using it like a #### stud finder.

I think half the problem in the newer vehicles is that ECMs used to be housed in metal boxes, but as of late, they've gone to plastic. Those metal boxes did a fantastic job at keeping RFI inside the #### things. But it passes right through plastic. But, y'know, bean counters, the CEO needs his bonus and the investors need return of investment, a lot more than I need to be able to use my radio. :banghead:

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    My last truck had a Cellular Data Signal Booster wired in for the ELD. One day I unplugged it while getting into the fuse panel... Almost all the interference I was gettimg on the CB disappeared instantly...

Now I dont have to worry about that... I'm Local and Ag Exempt, so no ELD.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.