Has anyone lease-purchased a truck with team driving

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Strongbeard, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Strongbeard

Strongbeard Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I'm about to do a lease purchase with us Xpress and a buddy wants to join me driving. Is there negatives with team driving vs solo driving?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a BIG negative when FFE dispatch in LA satelittes us in Avenel NJ after we did a drop hook on the way back to LA saying we are 10 minutes late over 2930 miles are we going to make it ok?

We skipped a fuel stop until Holbrook AZ and saved 30 minutes. We were there 4 minutes early at LA in the FFE terminal there.

Its really serious when we as a team are late by 10 minutes and the dispatch is complaining before we finished winding gear. Thats what they get for governing us to 63 mph. We can only do so many hours for the trip straight through. It was also a calculated risk at about 2150 miles on 335 gallons of fuel, turned out to be 6 gallons left in Holbrook.

This was back in the 2001 era where we could log HOS as a team any old way, example I drive 5 hours, wife drives 5 I drive 5 more and repeat over and over until both of our 70's are up in about 5 days. Thats just enough for two round trips between LA to Avenel NJ back then as a team.

If we had a ungoverned truck able to run say 75 then it would be about a hour early to LA instead of 4 stupid minutes. Or 10 minutes late over 2930 miles.

Some companies have caused me to become somewhat bitter through their nicky picky worries about their precious 10 minutes. I can tell them where they can stick it.

Sometimes two to a team is not enough, let's put three in a truck.

note: this post has been a semi rant based on a actual incident with FFE a very long time ago. When being a team is not enough for anyone.

If you still want to team, have at it. God help you. Even that will not be enough to keep dispatch happy.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    When you mean lease purchase. Do you mean a actual purchase with balloon payment at the end that you'll have to find your own financing and hope you get the title?

Or is this the usual lease that the company turns in after 3 years and you just pay the lease payments and all other fees? And then you switch trucks for a newer model and repeat process.

There used to be a married couple on here that leased a brand new truck through Central when they were around. And at the end of the lease they arranged their own financing to buy the truck. And went through a lot of hassle for someone/anyone to produce a title for their bank to be used as collateral.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You'll find out real quick just how good of friends you really are. Cooped up together in that truck 24/7 is a compatibility test squared.

HoneyBadger67 and Western flyer Thank this.
  6. THEONEANDONLYMADDOG

THEONEANDONLYMADDOG Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2013
    USX is a sham company and go through TEL for the lease.
    You will never own the truck and will never see good $$ even as a team.
    Just think about all the company trucks they have to run..
    They get the best freight first so the company makes more money. All the leftovers go to the LP guys..

Been there done that.

Find you a small local outfit run hard make a point to save about $25,000-$30,000 put it in the bank use about $5,000 down on a truck keep the rest in the account for operating capital and repairs.
    Get your own authority and go make the money..

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Swapping every 5 hrs eats a good 30 min anyways which could be a fuel stop to..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.