Has anything like this ever happened to any other drivers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Runaway02, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Runaway02

Runaway02 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2007
    At the time I only had Tiffany(the Black one)Chrissy died 3 years ago.I talked about that in the 3rd or 4th post.They were really good about *trying*to take care of her,but they didn't give her her heart meds which lead to her heart failure,she stayed alive long enough for me to get out of the hosp and get her home,which was the only good thing about her passing,she was home and she was with me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    The trucks have QC's so they know exactly where they are at all times,I was told by the company that they had 2or3 drivers and the manager of the truckstop come to the truck and knock on it(of course at different times in the course of that 24hrs)with no response from me,the sheriff's dept are the ones who actually broke into the truck and let the medical personnel in,I WAS grateful to the company until they totally abandoned/ignored/left me to fend for myself in the hosp hundreds of miles from home with absolutely nothing but the clothes they took me in with.And maybe I am being too hard on them after all I was nothing to them,the truck is worth more to them than I am but in my opinion it is unforgiveable to me that they could not have dropped off mine and my dogs meds/wallet and a few clothes when they took the truck.I mean it's not like they would have had to go out of their way more than 1 mile as the hosp is right off the interstate and when they took the truck they passed the hosp on their way out of town.OK I have had a really bad day and I am now ranting,I'm sorry.I hope some of the newbies are reading this and will learn from it=No matter what they tell you,you are nothing to them.

4. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    You are right. it is UNFORGIVABLE.

The other driver, maybe they didnt know what happened. Company probably didnt tell them anything. A purse with credit cards in it should have thrown up a major flag that SOMETHING was up though....

As for QC, don't fool yourself. Yes, they knew where the truck was, THIS TIME, but ...tell me, how many times have you parked with the NO SIGNAL light on, all night? I've done it a few times. I've even had the unit screw up in the weirdest ways. Now, i worked for werner and we had paperless logs, so i had a little more knowledge of where it was reporting i was...I remember one time, it had a signal but i was in NYC and it was reporting i was in quebec. It reported i was in another *country*! Messages still worked though. And besides, what if you parked at walmart next door to a truckstop, etc? GPS is not always accurate to the inch.

But trust me..They would have had the cops out there looking for you. But what if the company didn't have qualcomm at all, and you didnt tell them where you were? Where would you be now? I think you're really lucky you lived to tell this story.

The company im at now uses blackberry instead of qualcomm. That has its own problems...

This is 100% unforgivable. There is no excuse for what the company did to you. I hope you get compensated for everything that was lost, and then some...

By the way, were you having issues pulling the handle because of poor maintenance? As you know, theres a night and day difference between some trailers..and its 100% a maintenance issue if a handle is impossible to pull..

5. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    Yes I understand what your saying about my location and that is another good point for newbies to remember_Always make sure someone Knows where you are_You never know what is going to happen.As far as the handle,no it wasn't all that hard to pull,I had slide the tandems when I started the trip,It had rained all night(the whole trip)so it was kinda sticky so I was having to pull really hard,but it wasn't a maintenance problem as far as I know,but I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  6. Adicted2Asphalt

Adicted2Asphalt Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2010
    You can be sure this thread is being watched. Do NOT put any specific facts about the particular situation in here. This would be for your own good. Let the lawyer handle this. You are a driver NOT a mechanic, thus you are unqualified to make this statement for certain. Again for your own protection let the lawyer bring out the facts.

Glad to see that you have gotten cleared to drive again.

Same reason you don't admit fault when you have an accident.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    I know,and that is why I have been real careful not to name names and not to put specifics here

8. Driverbb

Driverbb Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Danville, Pa
    Well #### I be callin someone that's for sure. hope you can keep all posted... On a side note couple of years ago in the dead middle of winter I was standing between 2 trailers that where way to close together to the point I wasn't able to stand sideways. someone dropped the trailer way to high I was doing my best to raise the landing gear so I could hook up to it. while winding up the landing gear the landing gear broke free causing the crank handle to kick back hitting me in the bridge of the nose braking my nose in two place's. I went in to clean up the blood so I could see came out & called my dispatcher & all he did was laugh at me...to give you an idea the trailer had 47 grand in the box & it was 20F outside. I quit a week later.

9. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    Ouch,I had one hit me one time but it was my own fault,I was spinning it real fast and leaned over too far,that thing whacked me right in the cheekbone,talk about seeing stars for a few minutes!!

10. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    It's amazing what can hurt you out on the road. I run locally and I was running about 65mph down this two lane road, and a coal truck passed me going about the same speed coming the other way. Well a golfball sized peice of coal came through my open window and hit me square in the jaw. whew that hurted. lol.

11. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to laugh at that,but I did,lol.I knew a guy who was driving late one night with his window down and he heard a bang and felt a sharp pain in his chest,he felt his chest and it was wet so he tuned the light on and there was blood everywhere,the poor guy thought he had been shot,turned out an owl had slammed into his drivers side mirror and exploded all over him and the truck.Just goes to show there are some stange things happen to us out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.