Has traditional OTR been replaced by "Regional"?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by richieryan, Jan 26, 2014.

1. richieryan

richieryan Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    OKC,OK
    As I look on here and Craigslist, etc, It seems like there are many more companies running regional, home weekly ops. Now that we are about to be empty-nesters, I'm looking for 48 st or western half OTR. I guess companies are responding to driver needs, and that's a good thing.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Part of it is to attract drivers & part is due to elogs. Time sensitive freight such as produce, auto parts just-in-time, etc. companies now give those loads to teams. Solo drivers used to run the time sensitive stuff, but elogs put a stop to that. Indeed website and Careerjet website might have what you're looking for.

4. richieryan

richieryan Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    OKC,OK
    Thanks for the tips. I know craigs is a cesspool of indy recruiters, but I keep looking...

5. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Just more recruiting schemes to get people in the door. I remember Arrow had a south regional deal, but those guys was always on the radio heading up to the NW. Regional has always been around, and if you like doing more sitting and waiting instead of running. The regional is for you. Unless of course you get with a company who has there stuff together. But from the most part even with my company. I see guys all over the place and they are out of their region.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you don't want to run western. these mountains get real old.

course, the eastern has some dislikes also.

7. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    I wonder if there's a higher turn-over on regional fleets.

Once someone figures out it's twice the work for about the same pay and "home every weekend" really means you might be lucky to stop by the house for a few hours most weekends, I think most guys either quit or go OTR.

And here I was looking forward to a trip into Northern B.C. this week.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. juanveldez

juanveldez Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Iron Mountian MI
    Many companies especially those that run elogs are moving to a short miles high revenue system. The problem is that while its high revenue for them the driver starves.

9. ibflat2

ibflat2 Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Dothan Alabama
    as everyone seems to say, E-Logs are great for productive drivers... RIGHT

But the micromanaging of the drivers time is what kills a lot of the drivers desire to stay in the business..
    Regional runs or relay loads is going to be more and more common I think. Plus it makes it more attractive to drivers with chances to be home more...

10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Younger generation doesn't want to be gone from home weeks to months at a time. Doesn't appeal to the new younger workforce. Makes it harder to find new drivers after the older ones retire.

11. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Oh yeah, those regional jobs. You are "Midwest Regional" but next thing you know you are delivering in Quebec.

"Quality home time!", "Home weekly!", yeah on tuesday night for 34 hours.

"Competitive pay packages!", maybe if you compare them to Covenant's payscale.

Good jobs don't need craigslist, they don't even need ads, they have a reputation and a huge pile of applications from people trying to get in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.