Has Trucking Changed You?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hidden1, May 12, 2021.

1. pagan22

pagan22 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    Steve Quayle warns about this all the time.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    imagepng_0(1).png OTR has change alot of ppl from skinny and average size to fat. Weird hours and no exercise along with burgers everyday will have a normal person in bad health in no time.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Quite honestly, trucking has changed me for the better. I had demons(drugs, mainly marijuana) that I couldn't shake completely til 2012. I even flunked a random early on in my time trucking. A little growth, maturity, and a long hard road (no pun intended) got me back right. Getting a 2nd chance out here to wake up and smell the diesel saved my life honestly. I flunked that random and it took 8 years of working dead end jobs and crappy companies to get back right. When you dig a deep hole, it's hard to get out of. It's a lifestyle that I like so much better than my old one. I like traveling all over the USA, meeting cool people, drinking beer with other truckers, eating good food, and making good steady money. Trucking helped me prioritize better, manage time better(on and off the road). I've got lessons that I've learned over the years that helps me as a father. My life is straight and I run every load like I'm still running from those demons, and I've been clean 9 years now. I take so much more pride in life and in trucking because I don't want to go backwards. I take pride in my ride too. Even though it's a company truck, it's something about a clean truck that gives me a rush. I feel empowered as trucker when my ride is clean. To me, when a driver has a clean truck, it shows growth and maturity as a trucker, as a man. It shows that he knows what he's doing. Now all of my habits on the road translate to my home life.

smokey12, hidden1, Joho444 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    You're awesome. Plenty of drivers could improve with your outlook no matter what demon or delusion they suffer with. Props....

hidden1 and Dockbumper Thank this.
  6. silinus vers

silinus vers Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I miss all the audio books I'd listen to, been oil field now for 4 years and it's always getting and out of the truck to hook and disconnect, load and unload 4-6 times a night,
    I miss those loads that took a few days to do, even miss the down time waiting till Monday to deliver, I would get angry at first but then just settle down into a book.
    I'm sick of the oil field, money is good and I'm afraid of climbing out of my hole here in the basin, but I'm starting to wonder if it would be good for me, despite my paycheck, everything I own seems to be falling apart simultaneously and I want to burn it all

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Awesome story!

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.