Has Trucking Changed You?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hidden1, May 12, 2021.

1. hidden1

hidden1 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Ya know, you're not the first to say this. Husband and wife team I read about said the same thing. The wife hated to get behind the wheel of a four wheeler when they got home. Interesting.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    50 years behind the wheel! :eek:
    I bow to you, Sir.

4. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Haven't been to Tombstone, but I do have a coupla Arizona Harley shirts from my cross-country ride last year.
    A Tombstone shirt would rock!
    It's now on my list :cool:

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  5. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    This be me.
    Same way. Obviously I 'perform' in the classroom, but after that it's either stay home and hang with The Wife and dogs or go riding. I'll hang with a few people at a watering hole on a ride, but that's about it. Never exchange numbers.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  6. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    We both came from an era where if you didn't make it there was no one there to hold your hand and pull you through. Summer school was a serious chunk out of our free time when we were growing up. The threat alone of 6 weeks stuck in class was quite the motivation to pull through. And yes, if you didn't cut SS, you repeated the grade. No exceptions! What's it like now? Four days of three hours. That's it. And you don't even have to do any work, just attend. I'm not kidding.

As far as a different district, I'm already in a great district. I just need a change. Of course if trucking doesn't work out my credential is still good and I can come back. All states are facing another shortage, so jumping back in wouldn't be a problem.

BTW, as I'm typing this I'm in the middle of my online class. They're taking a state test right now and all I'm doing is monitoring. Easy but boring.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    We already had a 'trial run' so to speak. The Wife's a paralegal/legal secretary and four years ago landed a sweet gig in Orange County...like a 5-6 hour commute from our house. Wasn't going to happen, so fortunately her sister lived near her work and she stayed there during the week and came home on the weekends. A few times she was gone a coupla weeks due to having to work some Saturdays.
    Was never a problem.

rachi Thanks this.
  8. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Interesting!
    How so?

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I came into trucking with a 10 year plan. 5 years ago I had ZERO Retirement money I needed to do something. Today I own a 3 unit rental property that will be paid off in about 1 1/2-2 years. A good chunk of money in the bank. I should retire comfortably and debt free in less than 5 years. Trucking has done for me what I needed it to do. I enjoy the OTR Lifestyle. I have worked A LOT HARDER in my life for lots less money. My $.02

10. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Hey Dock,
    If I may ask, how old are you? I'm starting the venture at 57. I'd like to put in at least 10 years, maybe longer if I enjoy it and my health holds out.

11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Ill be 61 next month. Started at the young age of 56. My first Grandchild is due at the end of June. I plan to hit it hard for the next two years, once she turns about 2, I need to back off my schedule quite a bit. In my first 12 months with Danny Herman Trucking, I ran a bit over 140,000 miles. Just started my second year on March 25th. I plan on driving at least that many miles in my 2nd and 3rd years. After that, I will probably try to run about 100,000 or so for 2 or 3 more years. Hopefully I live through it!!:eek::D

hidden1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.