Haulers that take new o/o’s?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by 680Trukker, Jan 21, 2019.

1. 680Trukker

680Trukker Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    What’s going on guys? Few questions here:

Ive got the driving experience, but not the auto hauling exp. I just bought my own tractor and I’ve been seriously looking at auto hauling—at this point, what’s my best option? I can’t afford a trailer of my own yet.

Also, how does auto hauling stack against flatbed, after all is said and done? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Location is everything for car haulers.

680Trukker, Hulld and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It is going to be difficult to find a carrier that will lease on just a tractor in the car haul world. Our world is a lot different than freight, we supply both the truck and trailer. Possibly one of the big o/o fleets would have a trailer they could lease to you, not sure as I have always had my own authority.

If you do find a fleet that will provide the trailer, make sure it is self contained otherwise you need to install a wet kit to provide hydraulic power to run the trailer.

Good luck with your search. BY the way, if/when you are ready I have a 2014 Miller T7 self contained trailer for sale, asking $40,000. Located in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
    20160926_125342.jpg

680Trukker, BigBob410 and Hulld Thank this.
  5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I have 31 years in trucking, flatbed owner op, company driver and most recently 7 years hauling cars and 3 hauling cars as an owner op. It is the best job I have had in 31 years of trucking. I wouldn’t recommend anyone do it as an owner op without first hauling cars as a company driver for several years. You can do it, but I promise it will cost you a lot of money. Most of the big car haul companies that lease owner ops will usually want you to haul a minimum of 9 and have experience hauling cars. I have seen a few smaller rigs leased to United Road, but they don’t lease trailers and require a couple years experience as a car haul owner op to lease on.

You ask how it compares to flatbed, which is a very subjective question. You currently have some flatbed owner ops hauling coils for $1.50 a mile and you have some stepdeck owner ops at companies such as Landstar pulling slightly oversized loads for $7 or $8 a mile or more. Car hauling is about the same spectrum of income, you just need to not be the $1.50 a mile owner op because it will cost you close to that to operate your business long term if you figure everything and plan for the future. If I couldn’t haul cars I would be pulling my own stepdeck at Landstar hauling freight that never hits the load boards. I like hauling cars most days, this morning in 5 degrees actual temp and everything moving slow or frozen I wished I was watching them load my Stepdeck from a nice warm cab. Tomorrow is another day and looks to be warmer.

kenn2632, ibcalm19, Yelsew and 3 others Thank this.
  6. 680Trukker

680Trukker Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    I live 10 minutes from United / CSX terminal. I see them daily and have wanted to do it for a while now, just couldn’t figure out how to break into it.

I kinda wish I knew this before purchasing my tractor. All it not lost, I suppose. I do plan on eventually obtaining my own authority... I’d rather not pay for the mistakes I’ll inevitably make though. Then again, I guess I could hire someone to show me the ropes.

Really appreciate your insight. Flatbed is where I’ve been headed, but the auto niche has always caught my eye.

I was unaware landstar paid that well for stepdeck stuff. I guess I’ll have to give them another look.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Really appreciate your insight. Flatbed is where I’ve been headed, but the auto niche has always caught my eye.

I was unaware landstar paid that well for stepdeck stuff. I guess I’ll have to give them another look.[/QUOTE]
    Just remember that you won’t go in Landstar or any other big company with a variety of average and great paying freight and immediately haul the high dollar freight. If you prove yourself over time and build relationships with the agents who have the high dollar freight, they may eventually call you when they need a Load covered. If you do a good job on the first load with them they may use you again. This high dollar freight is not always on their load board, but they do have it.

680Trukker and brian991219 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.