Hauling diesel tote questions...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jdm5596, Mar 11, 2012.

1. jdm5596

jdm5596 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Corpus Christi,Tx
    Alright, I need all the input y'all will give....here is the situation.

I work for a coil tubing company in south Texas. The double pump trucks we drive are carrying two 350 gallon totes of diesel (on road) that is used for the engines that power the pump...Engines (2) are seperate from the tractor...

Heres the problem... I dont think the guys in the office know what they are talking about when they told us this, but they stated that since the two totes are a fuel source for the two engines on the trailer, they ate not considered to be Hazardous Material. Even with saying that, I replied back with,.then why are they labeled with a placard of 1993.. They said its for of we get into a wreck someone can see what we are carrying....

Personally I think its just a way to get some of these guys that work here who don't have a hazmat endorsement to drive the trucks when they are in a bind...

So is this considered Hazmat Materials?

The company I work for now stated that if we get one hazmat violation then we will be terminated..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdm5596

jdm5596 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Corpus Christi,Tx
    Btw the tractor and trailer do not have placards and the totes are hooked up by hoses that lead to fuel pumps.

4. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Yes sir !!!!! 1993 combustible. Loaded or empty and on 4 sides with a BOL in the truck at all times. ( 4 sides tote or truck )

I like that, not hazardous because its fo the engine huh? I know what their thinking, like a fuel tank for the truck....nope...it's a portable tank. ( U can take them off right? )

Good call......Orange book should back me up ( u need one of those too ) but if not head for the regs on portable tanks....

5. jdm5596

jdm5596 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Corpus Christi,Tx
    yea...pretty crazy right....then they threaten us with our jobs on hazmat violations

6. jdm5596

jdm5596 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Corpus Christi,Tx
    another question... what abosut the pumps that have dieael tanks on them. are they ok? They are indeed mounted. But the totes are bolted just the same....

7. chalupa

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Did some looking..... and that's correct. Remember BOL and orange ERG book both within reach of driver. Diesel placard must have white bottom half too for combustible and group 3. Driver MUST have HM endorsement too loaded or empty.

Driver is last line of defense too. You must refuse to take truck if all not complete and if they have problem see related OSHA article where driver sued carrier under OSHA and won serious cash. ( Driver refused to take truck out with violations)

Advise your buddies too. Black and white will smoke your arse if he catches you especially the red head ( butch gal ) working the Refugio area. ( a mean , straight razor totin woman ) ( we've met...... )

Good luck.

8. jdm5596

jdm5596 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Corpus Christi,Tx
    lol...yea... thanks. I have a feeling it will pose a big problem next meeting we have over violations, our the next tine I ask for placards for the truck....

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Better think about getting a tanker endorsement as well. The FMCSA just changed the licensing requirements for portable liquid hazmat containers. Over 189 (?) gallons in a portable tank requires a tanker endorsement empty or full. Goes into full effect in 2014, but I've heard that TX is already enforcing it.

chalupa Thanks this.
  10. chalupa

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Thanks Pony, didn't know that. when in place that's going to toss a few stake bedders i know.

11. jdm5596

jdm5596 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Corpus Christi,Tx
    I have my X endorsement already. and av co worker was cited for no tankers endorsement two months ago for hauling a 1000 gallon tank on a flatbed trailer for diesel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.