Hauling Freight For New Brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by LQTMAN, Feb 5, 2015.

1. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    I'm sure this question has been brought up before, but any good specific feedback is appreciated.

QUESTION: For a new freight broker starting out - will carriers/drivers be hesitant to haul your freight? If that's the case, then what can be done to assuage their hesitations?

Is a 50% fuel advance after pick up help? Com-check? Having the guarantee of a factoring company?

Also - if getting carriers to haul freight for new brokers is a problem, than how have previous brokerages started out and became successful?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I don't know about everyone else but I am very hesitant to haul for new brokers because of the higher than average chance I won't get paid. I have done it a couple times but only with a hefty advance or one guy had a letter from his factoring company (which I verified) saying they would pay me directly in 5 days. I have never had a load not paid but I've been shorted on accessorials and had to fight tooth and nail with a small broker who is now out of business.

The biggest hurdle you face as a new broker is $$$. You could be the nicest guy in the world and WANT to do the right thing but what happens if Brand X Co who owes you $100,000 goes bankrupt and you don't get your invoices paid? You can't pay your carriers with money you don't have. That's not an issue with the larger brokers, they have tons of financial resources.

4. Aleeex

Aleeex Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Fuel advance and quick pay should help.. but I'm very picky myself.

5. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    ShortBusKid,

I intend to use a factoring company, who gives fuel advances and guarantees payment to carriers. I can see where problems are had with accessorial charges, those seem to always be points of contention between carriers and brokers. Usually the drivers are in the right in my experience.

In regards to not having invoices paid, that's my fault if I approve a company with questionable credit. It's my job or my factoring companies job to properly vet customers to make sure the will pay their invoices, and on time. You can't safeguard against it completely, but you can minimize the majority of risk.

6. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    Aleeex,

What are you looking for when deciding whether to do business with a newer broker. Say he has been in business from 1 month to 12 months. What do you need to feel comfortable to haul for him?

7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Similar situation if you have a new carrier that's been in business short time, what is it that you do when deciding if you are turning the load over to them?

8. LQTMAN

LQTMAN Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2013
    North Carolina
    Lite Bug,

As long as they have proper insurance and authority, have no major safety problems, and they're reasonable, I'll use them even if they're right out of the starting blocks.

I'm just seeing if there are little things beyond the obvious that makes a newer broker more safe and trustworthy for carriers to want to haul with.

Kimkane311 Thanks this.
  9. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Well on your profile your age says 24 that may affect someone in choosing you, I don't mean no harm but that seems obvious to me.

10. Bogi

Bogi Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    dirthaller Thanks this.
  11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Just wondering what factoring company are you using?
    I'm working on the same thing in getting into the brokerage business.

As an owner of 3 trucks, I don't care if the broker is new.
    Got a bond, a shipper and a receiver I can go after if I don't get paid. Signed BOL's hold up in court.

If you can pay quickly that's the main selling point. Diesel fuel burns faster than anything.

LQTMAN and Lite bug Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.