Hauling Gasoline is no joke

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by GasHauler, Jan 17, 2022.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Getting a job hauling gasoline with no experinace is not for everyone. Just because that type of trucking pays more than OTR with more time at home does not mean the drivers are your typical drivers. The job pays more because the drivers have more expertise in driving than your normal truck driving job. If you're looking for a job in hauling gasoline don't do it for the money. Sure the money is good but don't let that be the sole reason you're looking. Know that you're hauling freight that is not like your normal load and it can cause damage real fast. Go into the job with the attitude that you're looking to make this type of hauling your life's work and you plan to retire from it. Learn all you can from the drivers that are about to retire, I'm sure they would be more than willing to pass on the torch.

MACK E-6, Dino soar, 91B20H8 and 11 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California
    You're using the word "torch" figuratively I guess.

4. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    Good friend of mine hauled fuel for his father's company, car pulled out in front of him and took out his steer axle causing him to hit the ditch and roll. Tanker tore open, spilled gasoline and caught fire. He made it out through the windshield but not before getting burned pretty badly. Gotta be one of the worst ways to go, burning alive.

MACK E-6, DDRdan, Speedy356 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Have to say the only time a driver's wife made him quit was in my early years working at a fuel hauler.

I've see some guys freak over toxics and nasty stuff like fuming acid and the wives were not nagging those guys to quit.

pathfinder1361 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California

Cantlay and Tanzola had a sign right by the door out of the driver's room where you couldn't miss it.

It said-----Tanker drivers don't have accidents. Tanker drivers have disasters.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Several years ago, when I lived in Milwaukee, residents on the east side reported gas fumes coming from the sewer. A service station owner was accused of having leaking tanks, a charge he denied, but was charged with cleanup, that did him in. Well, I couldn't sit back and listen to that, and I called the asst. DA, and told them what I thought happened. It was reported, the station got a delivery after they closed, common practice, but the ignorant driver obviously didn't "stick the tanks", required before any delivery, over flowed the tank, when he took the hose off, had a big spill that went right down the storm sewers and he left. "Interesting", the DA said, but with no video proof, and the driver certainly won't say anything, the station owner had to pay for the cleanup.
    I hauled one (1) load of gas in my life, and my hands were black from squeezing the steering wheel. It clearly wasn't for me.

8. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    E7A0B275-BC71-404B-8C19-A8113C0A9AC7.jpeg You definitely have to have things in order throughout your day. Doesn’t take much to cause an expensive mistake, or a deadly one.

9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Obviously the driver wasn't aware of 'that' station always willing to pay cash for some excess...Most 'big' cities have one.

Older tankwagons had manual cable operated valves so it was possible to 'backflush' enough theough the manifold in an empty hole to fill the driver's car...

201 Thanks this.
  10. lual

lual Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    GasHauler, would have to agree with you.

After doing fuel hauling for 6 months now (my first tanker gig), I'm sure glad I had 2 years OTR under my belt....for some of the situations I've encountered--especially at some of the mom-&-pop stores--definitely no place for a beginner. :eek:

And I guess some would easily argue....that 2 years previous experience STILL wasn't really enough. :D

--Lual

91B20H8 and wis bang Thank this.
  11. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted