Hauling mail

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by starmac, Dec 31, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Any of you guys ever had a partial that consists of us mail going to a post office?
    I had a load to Prudhoe with a stop at the cold foot PO. I ask how late they would be there, because it would be after midnight when I got there, and they told me the restaurant next door would have a key and tell me where to put it (5 bags).
    When I got there the night person at the restaurant ask me if dispatch had given me a key, supposedly they were suppose to. No key, so we unloaded and left it in the restaurant.
    All my life I have heard of how particular the mail is, I guess that just depends on where it is and how bad they want it. lol

heyns57, Woodys, Dino soar and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I took truck load mail to Springfield US Mail facility in Mass. Its one of the hottest loads there is at that time and used my dollar truck to get it there. Dispatch usually preassigned a parking space to drop the trailer in by number and then take the bills into the dockboss.

I was 4 minutes early on my last one there and got chewed out. But they took the load, trailer signed papers and kicked me out. And that would be that. The last 30 miles in was about 105 or so. ugh.

Things have changed since those days. I make sure that I don't haul mail if i can help it. Medicines is my preferred freight. If Springfield was that uptight day or night no matter how precise to the minute on time or early I was then eff them. Essentially. They can have it. Pretty much the only time I hear griping for being early.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I never heard of such, and my wifes uncle had a big time cali mail contract for over 40 years.
    What I was referring to was all the federal laws that are strict on messing with the mail, I was just surprised at how nonchalant it was with the mail I hauled. lol

5. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Leaving the mail with the graveyard shift fry cook sounds like it might be against protocol but who knows...

Dino soar, bzinger, Mike2633 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Funny - I had the exact same experience.

7. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I use to run loads of junk mail to post offices (usually 2 stops, half trailer each) from time to time when I was OTR but never anything remotely close to that.

That's wild man.

bzinger, Mike2633 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What was there problem with being a few minutes early, at least I did not have any appointment times. lol

Dino soar, bzinger, Mike2633 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    No - I was 7 years too early. The letters hadn’t even been written.

I was beamed back to the Mother Ship and reprimanded that day.

Never again.

dwells40, bzinger, Mike2633 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Man, I do not blame you. lol
    My wifes uncle ran 10 or more trucks hauling mail between southern Cali and portland I think. He tried to get me to work for him way back in the 70's. I probably should have, financially wise, but even back then I could not stomach Cali. He finally closed it out 4 or 5 years ago, and sold out.

Mike2633 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know. I think or suspected DockBoss was more upset that I had the balls to just slam the trailer down in the exact assigned numbered spot given by my dispatcher. Its almost I was not allowed to have that sort of information. That would be the one time that particular dispatch group helped me out big time with tidbits of information that is valuable.

I had to scram anyway, looking to reload around sunrise in Pennsylvania in western Allentown. Ugh. What a night. (One of several mails ... all the same.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.