Hauling Onions in vented Dryvan .

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by danny23tx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    The instructions say vent maintain above freezing. Driving thru some chilly weather , over night close or keep vents open ? Coming out of Utah to Tx . Any advice appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They emit a gass that acellerates rott. Like the saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch".

Leave the vent open. I'm saying this as an open-deck driver that has hauled onions. I always hear how they arrive in better condition than van/reefer. I think it's mostly from the venting of a tarpped load. They always leave the bottom sides or ends open for ventilation. I thinks that is the bigger issue than temperature.

I've ran a few loads across country where a few nights on the trip have been cold, 28° or so. Probably should have dropped down to I-40 and run across but there were no issues, and they were thoroughly inspected at the recieveing end.

Vent is the top priority, IMO.

danny23tx Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's fixing to be approx 19 degrees at sunrise in the morning.

We are on the western fringe of ice and snow storm in morning, We expect glaze icing combined with about two inches of snow that will freeze with it until noon tomorrow (Wed) where it will be 34 degrees then back to 30 by 6PM into 22 by sunrise thursday. Conditions east of here are going to get really #### FAST.

Little Rock, AR

Leave those onions the way they are in that vented van. You have so much corrosive acid fumes that need out. Sulfuric acid to be exact vs moisture.

danny23tx Thanks this.
  5. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Leave the vent open and drive to the delivery no problems until really cold

danny23tx Thanks this.
  6. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Thx for the reply guys . I hauled pumpkins and know onions in this now properly vented van . Pays pretty well but a bit on the heavy side .

Farmerbob1, x1Heavy and skellr Thank this.
  7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    We use to haul them in a van when I was at Poly. During the extreme weather, we had portable propane heaters to produce enough heat inside the trailer when the driver was on a 10.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What about a nice reefer to maintain temp? Surely you can grab one at a nickel a mile and a few hundred dollars. Bill the customer that slight additional cost and then gain yourself a tidy revenue based on temperature control in the winter heating that stuff to maintain it's quality.

9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Poly is dry van only. Reefers are too heavy for their outbound freight, trash bags and plastic sheeting is heavy. Besides, their spotters at the Grand Prairie plant would destroy the units running into stuff. Plus, reefer trailers are way too expensive for what little they would be needed.

Farmerbob1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Thx guys load delivered no issues.

austinmike and skellr Thank this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Did you have to deodorize the trailer?

danny23tx Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.