Hauling passengers in a trailer. Race Drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KylerLaird, Oct 19, 2018.

1. KylerLaird

KylerLaird Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I'm studying for my CDL using an Audible book. I listened to a section on the passenger endorsement that had me wondering...
    The section said that passengers must be able to exit without the driver's assistance. I recall from earlier research that some states allow passengers to ride in RV trailers (typically with two-way communication with driver). So...are there ways for a CDL with passenger endorsement to legally carry passengers in a (non-RV) trailer?
    Specifically, I'm looking at a fifth-wheel race transporter with living quarters being pulled by a semi truck for my business. Can I hire a CDL Class A driver with passenger endorsement to legally drive me somewhere while I sleep in the transporter?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Um...the passenger endorsement is for bus drivers only, coach or school.

austinmike, Woodys and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No you can't.

Lepton1 and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you know others with similar equipment? If so, ask them. We see a lot of those type rigs headed to race tracks all over the nation.
    I've seen tractor-trailer horse trailers set up with sleeping units inside the trailer and people riding in the trailer with the horses.

KylerLaird and catalinaflyer Thank this.
  6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's a little more than bus, coach or school. It's for anyone that operates a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons including the driver no matter how many passengers you have.

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    As far as I know, no one....... no one.... can ride in any trailer.... any trailer... period.

I dont know about other states but I know for certain, in Louisiana, you cant even have passengers in the back of a pick up truck.

Mike2633, mhyn and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    and when your driver, who has worked at the track at various odd jobs, has to drive thru the night, to the next track, falls asleep and rolls over and you die, what then..???

Mike2633 and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Plenty of drivers allow passengers to ride in the trailer. Happens daily when one delivers in Mexico.

10. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    if you live in or near one of these cities: san diego, el paso, laredo, ans tucson, then Border Express is hiring. $100 per "passenger", $5 per mile, 100% no touch, 100% preloaded drop and hook, same day cash payment, paid vacations to mexico quarterly. US passport is required. the company is expanding to serve customers in the northern border and sea ports

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    John A., 91B20H8 and Razorwyr Thank this.
  11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The big time horse transporters always have a handler riding in the trailer with the horses.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.