Have CDL but haven't driven in awhile....

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Raydar, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Raydar

Raydar Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I have my CDL but haven't driven in about five years. I have been driving a bus since then. I'm wanting to go back to OTR. I still have my CDL I don't have my Hazmat but have all the other endorsements. I was with Swift for a couple of months before a family member got really ill and had to take care of them. I know I need some training. Is going through Swift's academy the way to go? Or what should I do to get back into it? I went to a local school and I know how to shift they just told me that I'm just really rusty.

Just need a little advice Thanks

Sorry if this isn't the right forum to post in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?

Raydar Thanks this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    wow that would really suck to have to go through school all over again that's another $5000 isn't it? I started driving after a 6 year break never went to no schools no driver trainer the prospective boss just put me in a truck and we took a test drive just like riding a bike i haven't ridden one for nearly 30 years i bet i can still get on one and ride like i'd never ever stopped so to driving a truck while you may be a little rusty you'll soon pick it up very quickly however if your not very confident by all means get someone to give you a little refresher. So anyway i went from not driving for 6 years to hauling 63 tonne tanker loads of Cattle supplements and then to now doing fuel deliveries so there is hope for all.

Raydar Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Even though some on here don't believe it, some cdl schools are free.
    The old saying, "nothing is free", is false. A new driver shouldn't expect to be a driver and the CEO of the trucking company at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Raydar Thanks this.
  6. Raydar

Raydar Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    So Cal. I believe Fontana would be where the school would be. I get that I would have to pay again but I'm selling the house I could really go anywhere. it's all most a done deal. todays the house inspection is today. I hate the idea of three whole weeks without a paycheck actually longer. I'm sure I could pick it up quick. I'm just not sure what the best choice would be.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Rust is easy to break off. Dont you worry.

I stopped OTR in 2001, got into a ford 9000 to do yard jockey work with trailer one in dock two. That one was backed in in one move (Thank god...) and by 4 hours later I had rust taken off me. It ws a tiny little job in 2008 for half a day when the other jockey broke a big bone hopping out.

At the same time I was only one of three trusted to take entire tractor trailers into a auction barn. When you consider there is a two inch gas line right at 13'7 inches up there you were very gentle and just so. That kept me pretty polished. Being a crew boss teaching the latest in autos and manuals to those who need a quick intro kept me somewhat current until then. No worries.

You do need a refresher and you WILL benefit from running with a trainer. Just make sure that you if HIRED go straight to the DMV in your home state and swear out a Tier One document that you are back to Commercial hauling in Interstate and Intrastate. Its a small detail but dont forget it. Many states keep tiers now mine was tier two without medical card to keep CDL for either farm work to silo on property or hauling dead bodies after a nuclear disaster attack or whatever as explained to me by the revenuer. (In short grandfathered CDL, but I had to sign that document on each renewal which included tanker and one or two other endorsements plus airbrakes etc)

I know I can ride a tractor trailer right now with maybe 30 minutes to a hour alone with it in a gravel lot or some place out of the way. But the actual trucking say from Yakima (WA) to Boston (Mass)? Now that would need a little bit of time and getting used to all over again but not too long. The knowledge is there. Particularly of the old Iron which might be valuable someday in some sort of restoration or other living history type exhibitions if there is one.

Today's computer trucks have to be blunt made idiots out of a percentage of truckers. There is nothing in them to actually participate in your own driving or the actual doing. You are told what to do when to do it and how by electronic alarms all over the place now.

UsualSuspect and Raydar Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Jim Palmer Trucking. The pay is much better than Swift for new drivers. Jim Palmer starts you at over .40 cpm and the trucks are really fancy & set up for driver comfort.
    [​IMG]
    Swift may get you in class faster though. I don't know for sure.

Raydar Thanks this.
  9. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Your experience driving a bus is still commercial driving experience. About half of the jobs I've interviewed for in the past two years, offer automatic-only fleets. As far as anything else, your anxiety is from simply not driving in a while. Get in that truck and go down the road, and it will all come back to you 100% in about 30 minutes. This anxiety is something I go through anytime I am out of the truck longer than 2 weeks.

Raydar Thanks this.
  10. Raydar

Raydar Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I'm not sure I think I fill out a application with them before but I think I was turned down or something.(maybe not)

My shifting wasn't that bad it was rusty. I do agree that I do need some sort of training. The biggest problem would be paying for things while I'm in the training. The training with swift takes three weeks. I got bills that have to be paid. I think I could use vacation for my current job for one of those weeks but after that I'm kinda screwed. I've got about 18 hours of saved can't touch yet vacation time but I only get that if I quit. I'm not sure if the sell of the house is going through. The inspection wasn't bad per say (nothing major was wrong) so things could still go through but I guess I have to wait a little longer to find out. Its so hard not knowing. The sell of the house is a big part of me going back to trucking that's the only reason why I mention it. I'm kinda getting ahead of myself things were going so good though and then hit a wall. Thanks for all the good comments guys

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider might approve you with only a quickie refresher course of 40 hours, which is just one week. Ask about that.
    Since money is tight, that might be the quickest way to get back on the road.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.