Have Class A CDL/ Seeking Driver Position with O/O or Small Company. Need Work

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by JoelhillOhio, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelhillOhio

JoelhillOhio Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    Hello Employers,

I have a Class A CDL and a 2001 Tri State drivers academy graduate. I have not professionally driven in the past 4 year a tractor trailer. I'm a 35 year old white male with a perfect MVR and DAC. No accidents,speeding tickets ever. I would be willing to take less money for a period of time to get back behind the wheel for some seat time. In the last few years, I've been employed as a sales consultant and project manager in the construction industry. Most companies are looking for as recent as 6 mo up to 2 years verifiable driver experience. I'm able to pass a drug screen and background if required. I don't mind working for a smaller company if available or owner operator with a few trucks. I'm a hard working honest individual looking for an opportunity to join with and honest outfit. I have spoke with a few of the larger carriers and they too want atleast 6 mo past driving experience. Thank you for reading this post and all consideration for a driver position.

Joel Hill
    Columbus, Ohio

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michaelwolf89

Michaelwolf89 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2010
    williamsburg ohio
    Hey Man I just graduated from napier truck driving in Hamilton Ohio,I plan on going with BST which is a flatbed carrier out of Wilmington ohio,I am 21 yrs old with no experiance they are willing to hire me,you may want to check in with them.

4. JoelhillOhio

Jan 6, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    Thank you Michael for the information!

5. JoelhillOhio

Jan 6, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    I'm reading alot of the other post here from fellas in a similar situation after posting. Is it really that difficult to get back behind the wheel after a few years away. Hard to think that healthy,abled bodied young men would have such a difficult time in finding opportunity in one of the largest industry in the US finding work. I can only speak for myself, but I would be considered an asset to anyone looking for a company man. I have already spent thousands on schooling to obtain a CDL A. At the moment cannot afford to spend a few more for a refresher course. What happened to some on the job training? I'm sure it would only take a few weeks to get back in the swing of things. I'm not one to give up easy! I will continue to look daily to meet this goal..

6. Michaelwolf89

Michaelwolf89 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2010
    williamsburg ohio
    Let me know what you figure out if you know any info about any other places that hire with out experiance in ohio just PM let me know I think I might go out to BST they seemed pretty good when I went out there earlier.

7. JoelhillOhio

Jan 6, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    Looking forward to hearing some suggestions from the readers or perhaps employers. I just looked through 40 pages of trucking employment. All seemed to require recent over the road experience. Any advice from recruiters of large companies.

8. JoelhillOhio

Jan 6, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    Really suprised out of 70 plus views no other suggestion. The section labled " Job Seekers" should be a great resourse for employers to find Driver's. Especially those that already have a CDL A and previous experience. I once read that the larger outfits were only interested in pushing their own driver's training and the one year obligation contract to drive for them to recover training cost and profit. The other route would be to settle up for the cost that's about double an accredited truck driving school tuition. Seems if I were a recruiter I would be looking at those seeking employment in this field. Perhaps theres just not enough for them to gain from a previous CDL A professional driver looking for work. I guess it's hard to fool those that are already fimiliar with industry standards such as pay etc. Maybe I'm way off base.

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Not everyone gets on here on a daily basis.

10. JoelhillOhio

Jan 6, 2011
    Columbus,Ohio
    Spoke with an individual from a local truck driving school this morning. I was told that I would have to fully retrain for 3 weeks at the cost of 7 grand. It makes no difference that I have a Class A CDL and a perfect MVR and DAC. Please keep in mind I have already spent that amount to abtain the license in 01 and drove for a number of years. He said anyone out of the truck for longer than 2 yrs for insurance purpose has to pay to complete the course all over again. Meaning my valid Class A CDL is worthless. Hard to believe a company would not hire a person with past driving experience. So much for graduating with a 97% from truck driving school. This is very disappointing!

11. U4EA

U4EA Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Don't do it - there screwing you; $7,000!!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.