Have i just bought a ticket out of my career?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by good for nuthin', Jun 29, 2014.

1. good for nuthin'

good for nuthin' Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Las Vegas NV
    I have driven for 18 years with very minor incidents. Up until 2012 I had none on my record. Two Wednesdays ago I had a rear end accident. A car in front of the car I was behind, stopped suddenly as we were getting up to speed. We were all doing about 40 to 45 mph when the front car stopped and the car behind Him slammed on His brakes. I had about 20-25 feet in front of me ,but I was empty and had little fuel in the tanks so I skidded the remaining 10 feet into the car in front of me, just as the car in front of Him stepped on His pedal and high tailed it out of there. I had the police come and I was instantly the bad guy. He called the Highway Patrol whom explained to Him How hard it is to stop an empty truck. The Highway patrolman even said it looked like a classic scam move. The problem is I am now on suspension and more than likely will be terminated. Though this hasn't Hit my DAC yet, or MVR. It will. I have one other accident as a non preventable ,non DOT accident as I brushed up against an aluminum awning and got a 4 inch oxidized paint scrape on a white trailer from a previous employer. There was no damage to any equipment or property on that one. I am getting ready to look for another job, but what do I say? That's if they even look at me. a rear ender is a taboo subject to potential employers...........Does anybody have any advice? Do I need to look into another field? I'm desperate at the moment ,so any good advice
    would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That's too bad.Your company will argue that you didn't leave enough following distance.Hope someone here will give you the much needed advice and more importantly hope your company doesn't fire you.

4. streetglider

streetglider Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Alabama
    There's always western express. Just saying

5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    That's a very tough question to answer. I don't think you're done but you will be in a hole for top jobs for a while.

6. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Dispatcher! GO fight them. Get your side down on paper and if they fire you file for unfair labor practice.

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I'm not looking for drivers but if I was the 18 years total with one little hiccup is what I would look at. Seems to me you have done well with safety surely others will look at the same thing and scoop you up fast if they have any sense. Like the highway patrol said classic swoop and squat move. Sorry for your luck hopefully it plays out better than your thinking it will.

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    dash cams have there good side

paul_4lp, TomOfTx, Chinatown and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tough luck. Try some local driving. Might have a better chance of a new job with some local/city jobs and just forget the OTR for awhile.

Envirocon hauls water around Las Vegas area.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][HR][/HR][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: nowrapFormLabel width160 top, align: right"][/TD]
    [TD="class: formFieldNormal top"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][HR][/HR][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]
    PLEASE, NO WALK-IN’S. Apply online and the Hiring Manager will call those individuals whose background best fits this project. All applicants should attach a current resume outlining your relevant experience to be considered further.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I think talking to people face to face in this situation is how you will find employment...be humble and keep your chin up while looking them in the eye.

11. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    No sense worrying about something that "could" happen (getting fired). I'm sure your company will look at your record with them and unless they are the biggest d-bags, you should be good.

They could have suspended you to let you "cool down".

Deal with what comes when it comes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.