Have pre hire from major company but no school will train me here in Dallas

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by TrustingGod, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Mesilla Valley Transportation in El Paso.
    Maybe they still finance their cdl school.

TrustingGod Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JTAN

JTAN Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Rome , GA.
    Have you tried a state operated technical school...I don't know if they have any in Texas or not but you may want to check on it..I got my CDL thru a school in GA. with the help of a grant and scholarship.. ya just have to apply and see .. as far as getting your experience there are a lot of companies that will give you a chance but you need to check em out pretty good .. remember you'll need to stay there 6 months to a year then you will have more and better opportunities...you might get lucky and love your 1st company..good luck to you !

4. haulit6272

haulit6272 Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2018
    I don't understand how one school or trucking company will claim to get you trained in 3 weeks and another says 7 weeks when both are all day, M-F. The end result is supposedly the same, a Class A CDL license. The Goodwill program is 7 weeks, and I recently saw a story where a woman finished C.R. England in 3 weeks. What's the difference between schools when the time period varies by so much when it's all day, M-F in each case?

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A 3 week school is 120 hours.
    A 7 week school is 280 hours.
    Depends on the trucking company you want to work for and the length of school they require.
    Most companies that hire new cdl grads want 160 hours and others more or less than 160 hours.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Some companies hire from specific schools only. A couple are Trimac Transportation and Old Dominion Freight Lines.
    If you know of a company you want to work for, call and ask which school or length of school they prefer.
    Majority of companies don't care what the name of the school is, as long as it's 160 hrs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    haulit6272 Thanks this.
  6. haulit6272

haulit6272 Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Ok, so let's say 160 hours. How much of that is classroom, how much is how to back up in a parking lot, and how much is OTR with a trainer? Is 160 (or whatever) strictly a company/insurance requirement, not a DOT requirement?
    Can anyone go down to their local state public safety office that issues drivers licenses and test, both written and practical, for Class A and/or Class B?
    Is 6 weeks OTR with a trainer considered a long time as part of a company paid training agreement? What's the typical range of time for that, in weeks?
    The news report video of the woman who just finished 3 weeks with C.R. England didn't show her with a trainer or make any mention of it. It led you to believe she was now on her own.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you get your cdl without school, you probably won't be hired by anyone these days. Insurance companies want to see a cdl school graduation certificate from new drivers with no experience.
    Training lengths depend on each trucking company rules; it's not a "one size fits all" rule.
    As for driving time while in cdl school, call the school and ask.

haulit6272 Thanks this.
  8. kilacroc41

kilacroc41 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Albany Ga
    cypress truck lines they have a school in jacksonville fl the also have a terminal in abilene tx they pay for drug test physical they pay you while in school 250 a week first check 165 cause they take out for drug test and physical after that 250 a week school is 8000 but they dont take nothing out of your check if drive for them 18 months school is 4week you can stay 5 weeks if you aint ready and its 160 hours

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.