Have To be a company driver now

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by lostsoul55, Dec 23, 2007.

1. lostsoul55

lostsoul55 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2006
    ia
    I had been a owner op for years but a couple years ago because some family misfortune, I had to get rid of the truck and devote much more time with family. So to keep body and soul together, I went to work for a small company as a driver. They pretty much let me work when I wanted so I can be home to take care of business. But recently I couldnt work there any more and I have been pretty unsettled in my career lately. So of the problem (you old timers can understand) lol I'm too dam independent to follow a bunch of rules that the big companies use to keep the newer drivers in line. I have a problem with a kid telling me how to do a job that I have been doing longer than most of them have been alive..So I keep looking for a smaller company that can accomidate someone like me. Not having much luck. And the times are not good for getting back into being a owner again. Any sugestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

My suggestion is to find a company, no matter who it is, and work. Keep the left door shut and drive.

As strange as it sounds...companies have rules in place because they HAD to put them in place because of some moron who wanted to do it their way. Sort of like the warning labels on a curling iron, not to touch it with your tongue....or the warning labels on a cup of coffee warning its going to be hot.

Id much rather work for a younger boss who has fresh ideas than have someone work for me who is stuck in their ways.

4. spankie

spankie Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear that you had some family issues hope things get better for you and your family. I know what you mean but you should be mature enough to know when to hold your tongue after all you need income to support and take care of your family. I can't count how many times I had to swallow my pride. But as men we will do what we have to for our family.

Now maybe things will get better for ya at home and things will start to change at work as well. Be a bigger man and grin and bare it for now it will get better GOOD LUCK!!!!

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I understand your language. I was an O/O for several years, and then earlier this year with my wife wanting me home more and all that goes with that I sold my truck in May and tried to be a good employee. By the first of September I was back in a O/O position. I've had 4 jobs in 2007.
    Once you've been O/O being a company slave will never cut it.

My suggestion is to save your money and get another truck and lease with a carrier like Landstar. You can advance 30% of the gross load receipt as soon as you book the load, providing fuel money ect. A friend of mine started with them (2 years ago) with next to no money on hand. He would only fuel half tanks or less because he didn't have any more $$. Within a month he was rolling good and has never looked back.

6. jbc

jbc Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Eastern US
    I have a suggestion. Put that ego aside and start driving. Having a younger boss is a fact of life in just about every career field. When I entered the military as a Second Lieutenant fresh out of college I was in charge of enlisted troops twice my age. They made me a better leader because they worked with me instead of letting an "I-Know-More-Than-The-Boss" attitude get in the way. They knew more about the job than I ever would but they didn't feel the need to boost their ego by flaunting it.

The priority is taking care of your family and not how you feel about working for Junior.

7. Chryguy

Chryguy Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Joliet,IL
    If you don't mind driving reefers you might want to look-up the nearest leasor to MCT...

I work for one based in IL and they leave me alone.

CG

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.