Have to show on-duty not driving while mowing the lawn?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ITHotshot, Jul 4, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

Yet again not debating on how to do it. But working on the truck is legally working as per 395.2, so On Duty.

(2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;
    (6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I don't work for a company and never will no freedom at all . Worked once as a driver for 6 mnts and quiet been on my own since and love it

MartinFromBC and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That is a really crazy rule to me.. Just one more reason to get out of this ####

5. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I understand that completely whish is why choice not
    That's what I'm thinking to do maybe find a driver and do something else while someone drives for

ZVar and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    The key phrase to keep in mind is "compensated time".
    If you are drawing a pay check for the time spent at another employer, while away from your driving job. That is "compensated time", and it is "on-duty not driving".
    The green book is clear on this.

I had to do this with a part time job I had 5 years ago. I had to have my breaks (full 10hrs.) I had to log all time spent at part time employer. And had to give copies to all employers involved to show that my breaks and hours of service were not being violated.

Mowing the grass at HOME is not on duty, its not compensated time.
    So its off duty.

Bean Jr., dibstr, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Here is the rule, anytime there is no paper trail to prove you are working, you are off-duty

MACK E-6 and misterG Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    IF we are this deep in debating off duty, then the world is not right on it's wheel.

That needs fixing.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Mowing your own lawn is off duty. Mowing other people's properties as part of a side hustle to make a little extra cash would be on duty not driving. Same with anything else. If it's you doing it for you, it's off duty. If it's you doing it as a business venture for somebody else, it's on duty. Here in the real world, though, unless it's a regular gig, I wouldn't bother logging it as on duty. Those 1-time-deals where you're doing someone a favor and they chip in a little for time...especially if it's cash payment (no paper/electronic trails), then I'd just stay off duty.

You don't. You're supposed to flag changes in duty status and note the location of that change. You aren't required to write what you did (ie load, unload, fuel, dvi, etc...). A company might want you to show what you did, but it isn't required by the regulations.

Bean Jr., MACK E-6, misterG and 4 others Thank this.
  10. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I like when I’m putting gas in my car and think for a few seconds that I forgot to switch to on duty, until I realize I’m in my car lol

Amazing how programmed they have us for this profession.

11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Compensated is the key word...you can still 'volunteer' to drive the Sunday School Bus as off duty but mowing the neighbor's lawn for $5.00 is on duty.

What about volunteering to mow the elderly' neighbor's lawn?

I've yet to see the driver who turned in anything but off duty for the weekend.

misterG, buddyd157 and stwik Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.