Have you ever had your truck emissions checked when entering California?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by scoobertdoo, Jul 5, 2021.

1. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I am wondering if I had a California reefer and 2016 truck, if California emissions checks trucks? Let's say a part of my emissions system wasn't up to par, or I have a cracked dpf, would they be checking? Do they sniff test entering trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    No...
    But they had a roaming division that did random spot checks, and I’m sure Banning will look while they’re giving a level 1 at their scales.

scoobertdoo and slow.rider Thank this.
  4. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    My understanding is they mainly do spot checks at truck stops, and that the emissions are outside the purview of the scalehouses. Unless CARB decides to spend a day at a scalehouse, I guess.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I have not been there California in a couple years. I have seen them doing spot checks on side of roads like around Ontario CA truck stops. I have seen them in Pilot truck stop down by San Diego looking for truck that were idling. Back when most trucks still not CA emissions clean idle certified. They wrote me a ticket when I was sleeping once because I had Detroit S60. It was still legal to drive the truck in CA but not to idle the engine more then 5 minutes.

CARB was driving blue pickup trucks. That how you could spot them driving around truck stop. Plus when they setup on side Streets they would just park on the sidewalk and setup and had a CHP with them.

I read and heard some thing about the scale house people. They don't do emissions check or anything because they are set-up to do that or certified. CARB people sometimes could also setup at weight station if they wanted to

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    slow.rider Thanks this.
  6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    nope never hapened

scoobertdoo Thanks this.
  7. Edjahman

Edjahman Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    My buddy has been an independent OO since 1998, living in the SF Bay area and here runs around Norcal and sometimes LA.

Before the state made him get rid of his 20+ yr old Mack, he said that emissions is never enforced, that he has seen.

Also, DOT couldn't care less about your emissions system. It's CARB that's interested.

I was working out in California last fall and winter and I saw a ton of non emissions trucks everywhere.

Take all of this for what you will.

8. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I’ve heard single truck owner ops are being forced out of California, not claiming this is true,but it’s was I’ve heard, I live in Las Vegas, and the company I drive for got a job in the and sent a bunch of their owner ops there, and they had to come home, saying Cali wasn’t allow them there because they are not company drivers

Edjahman Thanks this.
  9. Edjahman

Edjahman Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I wouldn't doubt that. He's had his own authority for 20+ years now.

They forced him to get rid of his 20 + yr old Mack and buy a modern tractor.

I thought it was lease drivers who were in trouble though. I have no idea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.