Have you seen nice upgraded o/o trucks pulling dry van?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OOwannaBE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I drive a 91, it might not be a looker but pretty much all the things that keep it rolling are lookers (if that's a thing lol). Except them 7 air bags I still need to swap out, and a few lines, hoses, and wires... As for paint and chrome, I cannot figure out a paint/chrome scheme in my head that I like, so it stays the old one stage faded paint. I guess I haul more than just a dry van, it must be that darn cracker box holding me back =P

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Chrome looks better on the repo lot lol.

4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Here's a secret: You get to keep more of that money when you don't dump it all into decking out your truck.

5. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Must not be looking to hard I see them all the time.

6. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Doesn't necessarily mean that's where the money is.... speaking for myself and I'm sure a lot of other owner operators. I don't mind being on the road.., however saying I enjoy it would be a lie. Drivers who deck out their trucks have a passion about this lifestyle. Me??? As long as I'm making money and my truck is safe and maintained "properly" i could care less what it looks like to a certain extent. Remember these vehicles are about one thing and one thing only. Making Money.. not a fashion show although I do give props to the guys making it one. Definitely nice to look at. My money go towards things like salt water fishing, my house, football games,fresh clothes/shoes, jewelry, ect etc. :)

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You are 100% correct. Please pursue a career in reefer or flatbed.

The last thing you want is to drive something like this.
    20151211_095311.jpg

You want something more like this.

20160821_104531.jpg

Big_D409, exhausted379 and Hurst Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I agree with this 100%.

I've been told I dont have passion for trucking because I continue to operate with a black hood on my truck. That I should be ashamed because image represents success in this business. I'm here to say to anyone who reads this, that I consider myself to be very successful. I have weathered break downs that would have crushed other operators. I maintain my truck 100% and it passes every inspection. I have money in the bank. I own 2 homes, property, race cars, nice new things inside my home, I support a disabled brother and his medical needs. I can go on.

I continue to roll and thrive out here despite having an older cosmetically challenged truck. My equipment is paid for. It earns as much as that shiny truck worth 5X more than mine or the new truck with a $2500 - $3000 month note. The key to success for me is to keep grinding and working at ways to save money in places its not needed and put it where it counts. The less downtime I have the more money I can earn and keep for myself.

Learning and really understanding this business takes time. Creating the right work ethic with the fortitude to see it through is how you survive. Never let anyone tell you differently than what you know in your heart to be true. Find what works for you and focus your efforts on that. If you like what you do,. success will become a natural course of action.

Hurst

Patilan, G13Tomcat, SoDel and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Robert85006

Robert85006 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Southwest USA
    nascar-cup-talladega-2008-during-the-national-anthem-a-nascar-semi-trailer-holds-the-ameri.jpg
    I met the guy who owns this truck in Arizona.
    I have no idea how he got featured in the movie Talladega Nights but he was. He pulled dry van auto parts. I think he was doing very good financially. Met him in 2008, two years after the movie was made.

OOwannaBE, CasanovaCruiser and Hurst Thank this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Man the stories that truck could tell.

I love to see older trucks still getting it done. The battle scars add character in my opinion. As longs as its safe and reliable,.. thats where it counts to me.

Hurst

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    As long you paid well

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.