Haven’t seen a thread like this. Hopefully you awesome fellas can help.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhavltrucker, Jul 17, 2019.

1. longhavltrucker

longhavltrucker Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2019
    I’ve never heard of a decent flatbedder taking a load for “fuel money” though, general dry van freight is disgustingly low, I had to find a load from Salt Lake City to Dallas and the best rate I found was $2300 while having to sit on it for a day because it was a very strict appointment. The cheapest load my dispatcher has given me was a Dallas to Tulsa run, only $1100, I don’t know how they made money on that one

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I called on a flat load of salt in super sacks a fewe years ago, they quoted 60 cents. I ran across a guy with a load of it a day later in wy, and he said it didn't matter to his company, it was headed the right way. This happens all the time.
    We baled hay in Ks and sold it in Tx, a lot of hay, 30 circles of it. Jb, hunt, arrow, etc,etc hauled it for a buck a mile. They charged us on short miles, I ran that route steady and tried every backroad imaginable and the very best they were getting was 89 cents a mile, but it put their trucks in a more favorable spot.
    We figured 3 bucks a mile on my truck, but If I didn't need to be there, I would have never hauled a load at all.

longhavltrucker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. longhavltrucker

Jul 17, 2019
    The mega carriers can survive making a couple bucks on a truck for a trip. I don’t know if I’d ever take a load that cheap, unless there’s literally nothing else, 89 cents would barely cover the fuel on the clunker I drive.

5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    This was back in the 90's, but still.
    There are trucks that leave Alaska all the time with stuff that MIGHT pay the fuel, I guess just to say they aren't deadheading.

longhavltrucker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. longhavltrucker

Jul 17, 2019
    If that’s the case is always better to pay the fuel than having to eat that cost though.

7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I will always eat the cost of fuel before hauling anything with no profit in it. It is either worth hauling or it isn't as far as I am concerned, unless doing someone a favor, then I might not charge anything.
    It just doesn't cost a lot to run empty, and usually you run to where you need to be. When taking a cheap maybe cover fuel load, you may get wheere you need to be and might still have to deadhead or take another cheap load.
    I have talked a few guys into leaving Alaska empty, instead of hauling a cheap load of pipe, they have thanked me every time.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I brought a guy a load of gravel one time for a gift card :)

He wasn't going to use, and the gift card was worth twice what I would have charged him in cash. We were both happy :)

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have done some trading over the years to. I left a dry van at a guys house for a couple of days while he had it loaded it and then pulled it close to 300 miles. I had to sit around for 6 or maybe even 8 hours while his guys unloaded it, but I got a nice new hot tub and a riding mower out of it. lol

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.