Having a hard time deciding how to go about getting my CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinnyVincent, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think the Devils in the details as far as they’re all concerned. Schneiders been around forever. They once had Teamster Drivers. Not that it means anything just interesting to me.I think they’re all going to use you to move freight at a lower pay scale. That’s their goal Profit. I’m sure you know nothing’s free. Most of them make you sign a contract and if you quit before it’s up you owe them for the school.Some of them make Tax credits off you for Training before you even Drive one of their Trucks.Some Drivers quit owing the money willingly in order to make better money figuring they’re still ahead. Everyone’s heard all the stories. As long as you know what you’re signing up for not a problem. I’m sure at this point you know more about the new Graduated License requirements than I do . I think 160 hrs supervised? I think getting it on your own you will still need to be supervised whilst Driving. But once your fully Certified your free to move on if desired and possible.I like having options myself.They on other hand want to own you for a while.

VinnyVincent Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    What do you think Chinatown? I was a little shocked at his response. I mean the way I asked was pretty clear, right?

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd push for more details. Seems vague at best. I can't imagine putting a driver in tankers with no experience and no formal school.
    Schneider will reimburse your cdl school tuition, so why not take advantage of that?
    Anyway, ask for more details.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    Screenshot_20181015-143458.png

The plot thickens...

6. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    I went on to ask him specifically if I would qualify to driver tankers and he hasn't responded, but I assume "we will send you through our hiring process like any other candidate" means that it doesn't really make a difference if I attended school or not.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    UPS pays well and offers great benefits.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Well, give it a try if you want. Seems pretty clear from what the recruiter said. Better ask if they will stick you in a dry van first. Sometimes Schneider will do that; "We need you to drive a dry van first, for maybe 6 mos. then we'll switch you to tankers."
    Since you live in Houston, you should go straight to tankers.

VinnyVincent and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I can only imagine that part of their hiring practice is to place you in appropriate (expierience ) position. But that’s not really a bad thing. They’re all going to want to train you right way so you can fit into their system. You’ll want to know all that anyway . No one Likes to admit it but once you Start Driving is when you learn everything. I seriously doubt the school will do any better. One of the trainees my Dad got couldn’t hook up air lines. He was always telling me how he couldn’t believe it. After He became disabled due to Heart trouble He went to work at a Driving School as an Instructor. He truly liked to work. 60 hrs the week before He passed You should have no problem. Despite what some will say. It’s not that hard.

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You’ll definitely do good in Houston with Tankers. I run Louisiana. I’m her now. Those Tanker Drivers are doing pretty good. And they want no part of what I do Dry Van

11. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    I'm still a little skeptical. Maybe I'll try from another number tomorrow and frame the question differently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.