Having hard time getting mortgage home loan as a trucker.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joseph1853, Dec 21, 2018.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I've been in my home 19 yrs, refi'd 4 times, never had a problem, I give them what they ask for. One issue the OP might be having, it's a USDA loan, some of those loans require a lot more info. I would try and find a different bank that does USDA stuff also. Try Rocket Mortgage/Quicken Loans, they do them also.

joseph1853 and SteerTire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    USDA is the absolute worse when it comes to paper delays. The word incompetence comes to mind.

But they offer some sweet deals if you’re in the club. If you have to ask, you’re not in it.

4. EEzt

EEzt Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Going through this right now. Even with a VA loan they want 2 years of work history as a truck driver. If I was getting paid hourly, I'd qualify. And USAA is even more egregious. You have to be in the same profession for 2 years.

5. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    I was in the mortgage industry for about 10 years and had my own mortgage company for about 7 of those years. You're right, most lenders want you to have a two-year employment history. They normally want you to have been at the same job for two years or, if you changed jobs, they like it to be that you are still in the same line of work.

One company I would recommend is www.naca.com. I bought a house 2 years ago and got a loan program and rate that I wouldn't have been able to get for my mom, even when I had my own company. They gave me a 30-year fixed rate, for 100% of the purchase price on one loan (not a first and second mortgage combo), with no PMI. That was almost unheard of in the mortgage industry, or at least it was when I was in the business. They also don't look at your credit score. They look more at your overall situation. I'm not sure if you can get around the job situation with them, but it's worth a try. If you have been driving a truck for the last two years, they might be able to underwrite the loan as though you are self-employed. To get an approval for a self-employed borrower, most lenders will want to look at your last two years' tax returns and your last couple of months' pay stubs.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    1029384746 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Rentown website is not longer good and hasn't been for awhile.
    Some scammers hijacked it and now just trying to get personal information.

1029384746 and joseph1853 Thank this.
  7. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    It's been a long time since I posted this question. Got an email saying someone replied and went to it and said hey I remember that. Anyways I came across your question and figured I'd try to answer it. The reason we were trying for a USDA loan was that it required zero down. You in theory could get into a house for almost zero down and that included closing cost believe it or not. At least that is what I remember. I had the cash but didn't want to spend it if I didn't have to. Simple as that. But as others have stated it was a pain in the rear. It was the process of getting the loan but finding someone who would sell their house to you being aware that you were using the USDA loan. The USDA loan process takes a bit longer and most people obviously do not want to wait any longer than they absolutely have to.

8. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    That's actually who I ended up working with, Rocket Mortgage that is. They had no problem with it whatsoever. The rep couldn't understand what their problem was.

striker, Numb and Accidental Trucker Thank this.
  9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I just did another refi with Rocket/Quicken, in June. dropped 1.5 pts!!

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I went through my credit union.

ncmickey and joseph1853 Thank this.
  11. EEzt

EEzt Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2020
    I'm a rookie driver in early stages of planning. I thought with a certificate of eligibility the VA would make it easier. But then I had to remind myself, it's the VA.

One veteran agency told me that the 08 housing crisis was partially responsible. Said that the subsequent legislation altered how non hourly salaried workers could purchase homes. Also said each bank or lender has some type of loophole to get around that. Guess it's just a matter of finding which hole the jump through.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.